public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Gdb with Guile
@ 2004-09-30  0:35 Brian McQueen
From: Brian McQueen @ 2004-09-30  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I was wondering if you guys had considered linking guile in with gdb to
provide the extension language functionality prior to going ahead with
MI.  With Guile it is very easy to add a lightweight, yet excellent
extension language, and it is a complementary GNU project.  I think it
would be a fun project.  That's why I'm asking - I'd like to do it
myself.  So I wonder if it was considered to be a bad idea.  How did you
arrive at MI1 and MI2?  Being quite familiar with Guile, I think it
would be a better choice.

--bmcqueen

* Re: Gdb with Guile
@ 2004-09-30  1:08 ` Kip Macy
From: Kip Macy @ 2004-09-30  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian McQueen; +Cc: gdb

With MI it is easy enough to interface with any language as well as
other applications such as GUIs. In-house I've got support for scripting
GDB with perl.

		-Kip

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Brian McQueen wrote:

> I was wondering if you guys had considered linking guile in with gdb to
> provide the extension language functionality prior to going ahead with
> MI.  With Guile it is very easy to add a lightweight, yet excellent
> extension language, and it is a complementary GNU project.  I think it
> would be a fun project.  That's why I'm asking - I'd like to do it
> myself.  So I wonder if it was considered to be a bad idea.  How did you
> arrive at MI1 and MI2?  Being quite familiar with Guile, I think it
> would be a better choice.
>
> --bmcqueen

* Re: Gdb with Guile
@ 2004-10-02 15:38 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2004-10-02 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian McQueen; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 05:32:48PM -0700, Brian McQueen wrote:
> I was wondering if you guys had considered linking guile in with gdb to
> provide the extension language functionality prior to going ahead with
> MI.  With Guile it is very easy to add a lightweight, yet excellent
> extension language, and it is a complementary GNU project.  I think it
> would be a fun project.  That's why I'm asking - I'd like to do it
> myself.  So I wonder if it was considered to be a bad idea.  How did you
> arrive at MI1 and MI2?  Being quite familiar with Guile, I think it
> would be a better choice.

MI solves a different problem than Guile would.  MI is not an extension
language; it is a mechanism to interact with GDB in a machine-parseable
fashion from an external program.

Guile support has been on my TODO as a low-priority item for ages, and
on others' as well I suspect.  If you wanted to implement it... by all
means!

Make sure to take a look at the list archives; Kip mentioned his Perl
implementation, and the documentation for that was available online at
one time.  It may still be.  Also, you may want to discuss design on
this list.  (And, you'll need to get a GNU copyright assignment that
covers GDB, if you don't already have one...)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Gdb with Guile
@ 2004-10-05 12:44   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-10-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian McQueen; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, gdb

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 05:32:48PM -0700, Brian McQueen wrote:
>
>>> I was wondering if you guys had considered linking guile in with gdb to
>>> provide the extension language functionality prior to going ahead with
>>> MI.  With Guile it is very easy to add a lightweight, yet excellent
>>> extension language, and it is a complementary GNU project.  I think it
>>> would be a fun project.  That's why I'm asking - I'd like to do it
>>> myself.  So I wonder if it was considered to be a bad idea.  How did you
>>> arrive at MI1 and MI2?  Being quite familiar with Guile, I think it
>>> would be a better choice.
>

> MI solves a different problem than Guile would.  MI is not an extension
> language; it is a mechanism to interact with GDB in a machine-parseable
> fashion from an external program.

Actually it does, and when MI was being architected, possibilities such
as GUILE were very much on the mind of the designer [i.e., me :-)]

GDB is trying to head in the direction of having MI (and CLI) to be
implemented as thin vineers over a libgdb object and set of primatives.
  Scripting languages, such as GUILE, would either use the MI interface
(as gdb/mi/gdb-mi.el does), or the primatives just below.  Pieces are
slowly falling into place - observers, ui-out builder - but others such
as async targets are still a problem.

Just beware of the now very defunct libgdb v1 that was removed some time
ago.  The old paper http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/papers/libgdb2/ also
contains additional background.

We've just a small matter of programming :-^.

Andrew

* Re: Gdb with Guile
@ 2004-10-05 14:22     ` Brian McQueen
From: Brian McQueen @ 2004-10-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, gdb

Thanks for the msgs guys.  I am very interested in taking on this
project.  I've already downloaded the source and started looking
around.  I was guessing libgdb would be the way to go.  You mention
libgdb v1 is dead, is v2 on track?  I had hoped that libgdb was the true
core of the current gdb, giving me a natural place to start.

I need to do some more thinking and studying.  Gdb's source code is new
to me.  The guile guys are active and helpful, but they are in the midst
of a big revision right now.
--bmcqueen

* Re: Gdb with Guile
@ 2004-10-06  1:46       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-10-06  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian McQueen; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, gdb

> Thanks for the msgs guys.  I am very interested in taking on this project.  I've already downloaded the source and started looking around.  I was guessing libgdb would be the way to go.  You mention libgdb v1 is dead, is v2 on track?  I had hoped that libgdb was the true core of the current gdb, giving me a natural place to start.

By on track you mean?  libgdb2 is more of a roadmap with very long term
goals.  If you're looking for an immediate result, I'd look at mi/gdb-mi.el.

Andrew

(assignment request form sent)