public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Upcoming target: CRISv32
@ 2004-09-24 12:50 Orjan Friberg
From: Orjan Friberg @ 2004-09-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I'm starting to feel pretty confident about my CRISv32 port, and would
like some advice as to how to proceed.  The thing is, the CRISv32
binutils port won't be submitted for another few weeks.  Obviously this
means that gdb for CRISv32 won't build.

On the other hand, submitting it would have its benefits regarding
ongoing deprecation etc, and (more importantly) I assume it will be
easier to get non-architecture specific patches accepted.

If submitting a non-buildable port is frowned upon, then I'd be happy to
sit on it until the binutils code is in place.

For the record: basically what's left at the moment are some FAILs in
the most recent gdb.base/sigstep.exp and gdb.threads/schedlock.exp
(problem explained in
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2004-08/msg00733.html and
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2004-08/msg00781.html) which I
need to fix.  In addition, I need to submit a generalisation of the
existing STEP_SKIPS_IN_DELAY mechanism.

--
Orjan Friberg
Axis Communications

* Re: Upcoming target: CRISv32
@ 2004-09-24 21:24 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-09-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orjan Friberg; +Cc: gdb

> I'm starting to feel pretty confident about my CRISv32 port, and would like some advice as to how to proceed.  The thing is, the CRISv32 binutils port won't be submitted for another few weeks.  Obviously this means that gdb for CRISv32 won't build.
>
> On the other hand, submitting it would have its benefits regarding ongoing deprecation etc, and (more importantly) I assume it will be easier to get non-architecture specific patches accepted.
>
> If submitting a non-buildable port is frowned upon, then I'd be happy to sit on it until the binutils code is in place.

Your call.  I'd recommend trying to keep cris-elf building though, if it
isn't then you'll want to update MAINTAINERS marking it as broken.

> For the record: basically what's left at the moment are some FAILs in the most recent gdb.base/sigstep.exp and gdb.threads/schedlock.exp (problem explained in http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2004-08/msg00733.html and http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2004-08/msg00781.html) which I need to fix.  In addition, I need to submit a generalisation of the existing STEP_SKIPS_IN_DELAY mechanism.

Andrew

* Re: Upcoming target: CRISv32
@ 2004-10-03 18:44 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2004-10-03 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orjan Friberg; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 02:50:31PM +0200, Orjan Friberg wrote:
> I'm starting to feel pretty confident about my CRISv32 port, and would
> like some advice as to how to proceed.  The thing is, the CRISv32
> binutils port won't be submitted for another few weeks.  Obviously this
> means that gdb for CRISv32 won't build.
>
> On the other hand, submitting it would have its benefits regarding
> ongoing deprecation etc, and (more importantly) I assume it will be
> easier to get non-architecture specific patches accepted.
>
> If submitting a non-buildable port is frowned upon, then I'd be happy to
> sit on it until the binutils code is in place.

Personally, I would prefer that you wait until it is buildable as-is.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: Upcoming target: CRISv32
@ 2004-10-11 17:55   ` Orjan Friberg
From: Orjan Friberg @ 2004-10-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Personally, I would prefer that you wait until it is buildable as-is.

Ok, I've decided to sit on it until the binutils code is in place.  (I'll also
hold off on the non-arch-specific patches that CRISv32 needs.)

--
Orjan Friberg
Axis Communications