public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* New target support for GDB
@ 2005-08-24 16:08 Steve Underwood
From: Steve Underwood @ 2005-08-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

Support for the Texas Instruments MSP430 made its way into the main
binutils CVS some time ago. I kept letting the GDB support slip behind
the current changes, but now I am making a push to bring it up to date,
and get it into the main CVS. I have code that seems to work with this
week's GDB snaphot (6.3.50.20050822), though it needs more testing and
polishing before it is merged. I want to sort out the procedural stuff
in parallel with completing the code.

I understand I need to complete an FSF form, to contribute the code. I'm
not sure which form, or where I need to send it. I looked on the GNU
site, but there are a number of procedures for different circumstances.
I'd like to clarify the appropriate one. I don't know the procedure for
delivering the code, cleaning up anything which it not considered
appropriate, etc. Also, I don't know who the coordinator is, who would
deal with this.

Can someone help me?

We still need to get support into the main GCC repository. Once the GDB
stuff is in place, I will try to push the compiler stuff forward. We've
had solid support for GCC 3.2.3 since that was a new version. Again, we
haven't made the necessary push to catch up with changes to the compiler
core, and get our stuff merged. Now seems like a good time.

Regards,
Steve

* Re: New target support for GDB
@ 2005-08-30  2:16 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-08-30  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Underwood; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:07:33AM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Support for the Texas Instruments MSP430 made its way into the main
> binutils CVS some time ago. I kept letting the GDB support slip behind
> the current changes, but now I am making a push to bring it up to date,
> and get it into the main CVS. I have code that seems to work with this
> week's GDB snaphot (6.3.50.20050822), though it needs more testing and
> polishing before it is merged. I want to sort out the procedural stuff
> in parallel with completing the code.
>
> I understand I need to complete an FSF form, to contribute the code. I'm
> not sure which form, or where I need to send it. I looked on the GNU
> site, but there are a number of procedures for different circumstances.
> I'd like to clarify the appropriate one. I don't know the procedure for
> delivering the code, cleaning up anything which it not considered
> appropriate, etc. Also, I don't know who the coordinator is, who would
> deal with this.
>
> Can someone help me?

I'll take care of this off-list.

> We still need to get support into the main GCC repository. Once the GDB
> stuff is in place, I will try to push the compiler stuff forward. We've
> had solid support for GCC 3.2.3 since that was a new version. Again, we
> haven't made the necessary push to catch up with changes to the compiler
> core, and get our stuff merged. Now seems like a good time.

FWIW, I would recommend getting the compiler port contributed before
the GDB port, so that the GDB port can be properly tested...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC