public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Multiplexing gdb remote protocol and application output
@ 2005-09-21  0:58 yuri
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: yuri @ 2005-09-21  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

Older gdb versions supported 'target cisco'. Function readsocket() allowed
to distinct between application output and remote communication protocol
packets, using escape sequence.

Now 'target cisco' support removed from gdb distribution. Is there any
standard way in gdb to multiplex remote protocol and application
input/output?

Thanks,
  Yuri

* Re: Multiplexing gdb remote protocol and application output
@ 2005-09-21  2:55 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-09-21  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yuri; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 05:58:29PM -0700, yuri@enmediainc.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Older gdb versions supported 'target cisco'. Function readsocket() allowed
> to distinct between application output and remote communication protocol
> packets, using escape sequence.
>
> Now 'target cisco' support removed from gdb distribution. Is there any
> standard way in gdb to multiplex remote protocol and application
> input/output?

Not really, but there's at least one tool that can do this, called kdmx
(specific to Linux but I believe it ought to be fairly portable).

I'm afraid that's all I know about the subject though.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Multiplexing gdb remote protocol and application output
@ 2005-09-21 13:35 ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2005-09-21 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yuri; +Cc: gdb

 yuri> Hello, Older gdb versions supported 'target cisco'. Function
 yuri> readsocket() allowed to distinct between application output and
 yuri> remote communication protocol packets, using escape sequence.

 yuri> Now 'target cisco' support removed from gdb distribution. Is
 yuri> there any standard way in gdb to multiplex remote protocol and
 yuri> application input/output?

Output, yes; there's an encoding for output characters mentioned in
the remote protocol spec.  Input, I don't think so.

    paul

* Re: Multiplexing gdb remote protocol and application output
@ 2005-09-21 14:34   ` Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2005-09-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: yuri, gdb

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 05:58:29PM -0700, yuri@enmediainc.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Older gdb versions supported 'target cisco'. Function readsocket()
> allowed
> > to distinct between application output and remote communication
> protocol
> > packets, using escape sequence.
> >
> > Now 'target cisco' support removed from gdb distribution. Is there any
> > standard way in gdb to multiplex remote protocol and application
> > input/output?
>
> Not really, but there's at least one tool that can do this, called kdmx
> (specific to Linux but I believe it ought to be fairly portable).
>
> I'm afraid that's all I know about the subject though.

Our QNX pdebug protocol does it by defining different communication
channels for protocol messages and I/O.  The support isn't rolled into
the FSF tree yet however and there aren't any clients other than
Neutrino.  Wow.  How incredibly unhelpful of me. ;-)

I know that Cisco has their support ported to newer versions of gdb but
I hadn't realized that they once had support in the main tree.  I guess
they haven't gotten around to putting it back in.

cheers,

Kris

--
Stay up-to-date on all the QNX news!  Register at
http://www.qnx.com/news/forms/newsletter.html to

* Re: Multiplexing gdb remote protocol and application output
@ 2005-09-21 17:01 ` Paul Gilliam
From: Paul Gilliam @ 2005-09-21 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 17:58, yuri@enmediainc.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Older gdb versions supported 'target cisco'. Function readsocket() allowed
> to distinct between application output and remote communication protocol
> packets, using escape sequence.
>
> Now 'target cisco' support removed from gdb distribution. Is there any
> standard way in gdb to multiplex remote protocol and application
> input/output?
>
> Thanks,
>   Yuri

Sounds a little like 'annotations' to me.

-=# Paul #=-

* RE: Multiplexing gdb remote protocol and application output
@ 2005-09-24  0:36   ` Yuri Karlsbrun
From: Yuri Karlsbrun @ 2005-09-24  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel Jacobowitz'; +Cc: gdb

Hi,

As an exercise, I restored 'target cisco' in gdb-6.3 (used code from
gdb-5.0). It was not difficult.

Then I found in the GDB manual "File I/O remote protocol extension". The
idea of this protocol extension is pretty much the same as Cisco hack: guard
application input/output, but the implementation is much more flexible.

I wonder, why nobody mentioned extended file IO.

Yuri