public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Joel Brobecker to be GDB Release Manager
@ 2005-10-03 19:33 Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2005-10-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

The GDB Steering Committee is pleased to announce Joel Brobecker as
the new Release Manager for GDB.

Joel has been a regular contributor to GDB for the past five years or
so, and is especially notable for testing and fixing GDB on many of
our exotic native configurations. He is also a maintainer for AIX and
mips configs.

To recap Joel's new responsibilities:

* The Release Manager is responsible for organizing, scheduling,
 and managing releases of GDB.

* The Release Manager decides the approval and commit policies
 for release branches, and can change them as needed.

Please join me in welcoming Joel to his new role, and of course feel
free to immediately start bugging him about when the next release
will be out. :-)

(I see that the RM is not mentioned in gdb/MAINTAINERS, but it seems
useful to have it there in addition to the appropriate web pages.)

Stan

* Re: Joel Brobecker to be GDB Release Manager
@ 2005-10-03 19:43 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-03 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:33:25PM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> The GDB Steering Committee is pleased to announce Joel Brobecker as
> the new Release Manager for GDB.

Yay!

> (I see that the RM is not mentioned in gdb/MAINTAINERS, but it seems
> useful to have it there in addition to the appropriate web pages.)

I agree - Joel, want to add yourself?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Joel Brobecker to be GDB Release Manager
@ 2005-10-04  1:07   ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2005-10-04  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs, gdb

> > (I see that the RM is not mentioned in gdb/MAINTAINERS, but it seems
> > useful to have it there in addition to the appropriate web pages.)
>
> I agree - Joel, want to add yourself?

Sure! Done at:

        http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2005-10/msg00038.html

In terms of the next release, I am eager to produce one ASAP.
We should create the branch soon, but I want to completely familiarize
myself with the entire process before starting this, after which we
should be able to set some target dates.

Looking at the NEWs file, I don't see DW_OP_piece support, wasn't this
project complete? Anything else we might have missed?

Joel

* Re: Joel Brobecker to be GDB Release Manager
@ 2005-10-04  1:16     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-04  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 06:07:04PM -0700, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> Looking at the NEWs file, I don't see DW_OP_piece support, wasn't this
> project complete? Anything else we might have missed?

The patch was posted but never reviewed, as far as I know.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Joel Brobecker to be GDB Release Manager
@ 2005-10-04  1:42       ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2005-10-04  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

> > Looking at the NEWs file, I don't see DW_OP_piece support, wasn't this
> > project complete? Anything else we might have missed?
>
> The patch was posted but never reviewed, as far as I know.

Is this the patch in question?

        http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2005-04/msg00129.html

It was so long ago I was convinced it was in! Elena is listed as
the maintainer for this section of the code. But first, we need to
check that this patch still applies. Andrew and Elena haven't posted
on gdb-patches for a while, so I will check the status with them.
Perhaps somebody (a volunteer, otherwise me) will have to take this
patch over and finish the integration process.

--
Joel