public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Couldn't write debug register: No such process
@ 2005-10-04 20:05 David L
From: David L @ 2005-10-04 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I'm getting this error when I try to continue after setting a remote target
(gdbserver on a local socket).  I'm using gdb 6.3 that I compiled from
source on a fedora core 3 system.

Couldn't write debug register: No such process

What does this mean?  Thanks...

            David

* Re: Couldn't write debug register: No such process
@ 2005-10-05  5:31 ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2005-10-05  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David L; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 13:04 -0700, David L wrote:
> I'm getting this error when I try to continue after setting a remote target
> (gdbserver on a local socket).  I'm using gdb 6.3 that I compiled from
> source on a fedora core 3 system.

Do you want to give the sequence of steps you followed to do this ? And
a small sample program. Someone could definitely help out.

cheers
Ramana

@ 2005-10-05 13:02 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-05 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David L; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:04:58PM -0700, David L wrote:
> I'm getting this error when I try to continue after setting a remote target
> (gdbserver on a local socket).  I'm using gdb 6.3 that I compiled from
> source on a fedora core 3 system.
>
> Couldn't write debug register: No such process
>

> What does this mean?  Thanks...

That something is broken.  There's not enough information in your
report to say more.  Is the gdbserver also running on an IA32 GNU/Linux
platform?  What's the transcript of the session look like?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Couldn't write debug register: No such process
@ 2005-10-05 19:03   ` David L
From: David L @ 2005-10-05 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

[snip]
>On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:04:58PM -0700, David L wrote:
> > I'm getting this error when I try to continue after setting a remote
>target
> > (gdbserver on a local socket).  I'm using gdb 6.3 that I compiled from
> > source on a fedora core 3 system.
> > Couldn't write debug register: No such process
> >

> > What does this mean?  Thanks...
>
>That something is broken.  There's not enough information in your
>report to say more.  Is the gdbserver also running on an IA32 GNU/Linux
>platform?  What's the transcript of the session look like?

gdbserver is running on the same computer like this:
/usr/local/bin/gdbserver localhost:9005 testfixed testfixed.conf

From the gdb session:

GNU gdb 6.3
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library
"/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) target remote localhost:9005
Remote debugging using localhost:9005
0x00add7c0 in ?? ()
(gdb)  watch *((double *) 0x8155218)
Hardware watchpoint 1: *(double *) 135615000
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Couldn't write debug register: No such process.

I'm not sure if it's ok to add a watchpoint like I did, but it works when I
don't use gdbserver.  I did it like this because adding a watchpoint like
this:

(gdb) watch confidence_[7]
Hardware watchpoint 6: this->confidence_[7]

doesn't work:

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
current stack frame does not contain a variable named `this'

So I found the address of confidence_[7]
(gdb) print &confidence_[7]
$3 = (double *) 0x8155218

and set the watchpoint on the address instead of on the variable name.

Cheers...

                             Dave

* Re: Couldn't write debug register: No such process
@ 2005-10-05 19:06     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David L; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 12:02:32PM -0700, David L wrote:
> (gdb) target remote localhost:9005
> Remote debugging using localhost:9005
> 0x00add7c0 in ?? ()
> (gdb)  watch *((double *) 0x8155218)
> Hardware watchpoint 1: *(double *) 135615000
> (gdb) cont
> Continuing.
> Couldn't write debug register: No such process.
>
> I'm not sure if it's ok to add a watchpoint like I did, but it works when I
> don't use gdbserver.  I did it like this because adding a watchpoint like
> this:

Gdbserver doesn't support watchpoints for x86, unfortunately.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC