public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB fails from Kdbg
@ 2005-10-12 17:05 Brad Aisa
From: Brad Aisa @ 2005-10-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi Everyone,

I tried on two different occasions to enter this bug on the gdb bug
entry page, and both times the process failed -- I submitted, but no
PR was generated. So I'm posting the details here.

AN EXECUTABLE FILE IS AVAILABLE TO REPRODUCE THE ISSUE -- I didn't
attach it because many mail lists reject attached documents.

Environment:
Linux Fedora Core 4, 2.6.12-1398
i686
GDB 6.3
KDbg 1.3 or 2.0 (doesn't matter)

Issue:
Open Kdbg; select an executable to debug.
Error message: "'gdb' exited unexpectedly"

This issue happens for a binary compiled with gcc 4.0.1 as well as one
compiled with gcc 3.3.

I have contacted the Kdbg folks, and they have investigated and assure
the issue is with GDB. Other KDE users are experiencing this issue.

--
Brad Aisa <baisa at colorado dot edu>
Professional Research Assistant

* Re: GDB fails from Kdbg
@ 2005-10-12 17:41 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-12 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Aisa; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:05:16AM -0600, Brad Aisa wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I tried on two different occasions to enter this bug on the gdb bug
> entry page, and both times the process failed -- I submitted, but no
> PR was generated. So I'm posting the details here.

As I told you, it was filed but the outgoing mail was lost.  It's PR
2019.  The mail problem has been fixed.  However, the PR has absolutely
no information useful for anyone to reproduce anything.  Neither does
this message.  Presumably "the kdbg folks" know something more specific
about what the bug is; why don't you include _that_ information?

How about when loading your executable directly into GDB?  Does that
work?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: GDB fails from Kdbg
@ 2005-10-12 18:29   ` Brad Aisa
From: Brad Aisa @ 2005-10-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Can someone add my test program (clipview) to the PR 2019? I can email
it directly to someone....

The program works when debugged from the command line as follows:

gdb clipview

Here is the instructions someone was given from the kdbg people who
were trying to debug this, which I followed -- this is basically the
commands issued by Kdbg, as copied from a log of launching with Kdbg:

gdb
set editing off
 set confirm off
 set print static-members off
 set print asm-demangle on
 define kdbg__alllocals
 info locals
 info args
 end
 set prompt (kdbg)
 file "clipview"
 set args
 info breakpoints
 info line main

At the "info line main" point I got:
Segmentation fault

--

@ 2005-10-12 18:53     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Aisa; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 12:29:24PM -0600, Brad Aisa wrote:
> Here is the instructions someone was given from the kdbg people who
> were trying to debug this, which I followed -- this is basically the
> commands issued by Kdbg, as copied from a log of launching with Kdbg:
>
> gdb
> set editing off
>  set confirm off
>  set print static-members off
>  set print asm-demangle on
>  define kdbg__alllocals
>  info locals
>  info args
>  end
>  set prompt (kdbg)
>  file "clipview"
>  set args
>  info breakpoints
>  info line main
>
> At the "info line main" point I got:
> Segmentation fault

The binary you send me does not crash at this point in any version of
GDB I tried.  Have you build GDB CVS or 6.3 from source to try, rather
than using the preinstalled packages on your system?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: GDB fails from Kdbg
@ 2005-10-12 19:58       ` Brad Aisa
From: Brad Aisa @ 2005-10-12 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Did you follow the series of commands below, or just go:
gdb clipview

Because the latter works -- it is the sequence below that fails, and
that is the sequence emitted by Kdbg when it loads an executable.

@ 2005-10-12 20:01         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-12 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Aisa; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:58:09PM -0600, Brad Aisa wrote:
> Did you follow the series of commands below, or just go:
> gdb clipview

Yes, I followed your example.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: GDB fails from Kdbg
@ 2005-10-12 22:03       ` Brad Aisa
From: Brad Aisa @ 2005-10-12 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 12:53 pm, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> The binary you send me does not crash at this point in any version
> of GDB I tried.  Have you build GDB CVS or 6.3 from source to try,
> rather than using the preinstalled packages on your system?

Rebuilding gdb 6.3 seems to have eliminated the problem! Thanks!

--

@ 2005-10-13  3:18         ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-13  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Aisa; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:03:33PM -0600, Brad Aisa wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 12:53 pm, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > The binary you send me does not crash at this point in any version
> > of GDB I tried.  Have you build GDB CVS or 6.3 from source to try,
> > rather than using the preinstalled packages on your system?
>
> Rebuilding gdb 6.3 seems to have eliminated the problem! Thanks!

Thanks.  In that case, you may want to check for GDB updates from
Fedora, or report the bug to them.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC