public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Developer Guide to GDB
@ 2005-10-30  9:36 .:SB:.
From: .:SB:. @ 2005-10-30  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi all,

Past months i was working in gdb (4.18 release) to include certain
modifs to ARC systems, i was starting from scratch, i mean, no
previously xperience (source-code) about gdb but some knowledge in
debuggers,

What i use to learn about was:

a) "Debugging With Gdb - The Gnu Source-Level Debugger",
b) "McGraw Hill - GCC, the Complete Reference"
c) Obviously, the code: tm-*.h, *-tdep.c, remote-*.c, and related files...
d) ./gdb/doc/gdbint.ps

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a good doc repository or
step-by-step or something like that, now im confortable with gdb source
code, but help is allways appreciated and sometimes i needed. I know the
other way (what i was actually doing) is to inspect the code, check
other processors, and try to do your own...

TIA

J.J.

--
Linux goliathbox.stigmatedbrain.net 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL i686 GNU/Linux
10:30:02 up 2 days, 14:24, 28 users, load average: 0.45, 0.88, 0.81

* Re: Developer Guide to GDB
@ 2005-10-30 11:34 ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2005-10-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: .:SB:.; +Cc: gdb

Hi,

The way to play around would be to look at another port and look at
gdbint. You are obviously using a very old version of GDB and a lot of
things have changed.

Which ARC are you working with / do you want a debugger for ? Is it the
A4 ?  I have earlier worked on a gdb port for later versions of the ARC
which is available from my employers site http://www.codito.com ,
notably the tangent A5 and the ARC700 . We are still to integrate this
with the FSF tree.

cheers
Ramana

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 10:36 +0100, .:SB:. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Past months i was working in gdb (4.18 release) to include certain
> modifs to ARC systems, i was starting from scratch, i mean, no
> previously xperience (source-code) about gdb but some knowledge in
> debuggers,
>
> What i use to learn about was:
>
> a) "Debugging With Gdb - The Gnu Source-Level Debugger",
> b) "McGraw Hill - GCC, the Complete Reference"
> c) Obviously, the code: tm-*.h, *-tdep.c, remote-*.c, and related files...
> d) ./gdb/doc/gdbint.ps
>
> Just wondering if anyone can help me with a good doc repository or
> step-by-step or something like that, now im confortable with gdb source
> code, but help is allways appreciated and sometimes i needed. I know the
> other way (what i was actually doing) is to inspect the code, check
> other processors, and try to do your own...
>
> TIA
>
> J.J.

* Re: Developer Guide to GDB
@ 2005-10-30 12:28   ` J.J.Garcia
From: J.J.Garcia @ 2005-10-30 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ramana.radhakrishnan; +Cc: gdb

Hi Ramana,

I noticed that there is not more support for ARC systems in GDB, i saw
the posts at http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2003-06/msg00425.html and
http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2003-06/msg00491.html
obviously the 6.3 release of GDB doesn't support ARC as i can see the
last one supporting it were 5.2/5.3 Releases.

I tried to search support for ARC in GNU i found almost anything.

Actually I'm working with ARC core v7 and with 4.18 release of GDB,
using the following toolchain:

binutils 2.9.1
gcc 2.95.3
gdb 4.18
newlib 1.12.0

I've been doing modifs to the mentionned toolchain to support JTAG
Remote debugging for ARC systems, yes, it's the debugger what im
interested to finish, just wanna know if there are others experienced in
that can can help me, hints, more xperienced users and so... I based
part of the JTAG work on existing support by OpenRISC ppl for or1k
family (the jtag-driver) and the existing ARC support for GNU in
toolchain code. I'm still working on it, and i still need help to
perform certain things with GDB, solve Interrupt problems and so...

Thx, ideas appreciated

J.J.

--
Linux goliathbox.stigmatedbrain.net 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL i686 GNU/Linux
13:10:01 up 2 days, 17:04, 29 users, load average: 1.60, 1.56, 1.62

* Re: Developer Guide to GDB
@ 2005-10-30 13:14     ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2005-10-30 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.J.Garcia; +Cc: gdb

Hi,

There are newer versions of GCC and binutils than that and which support
the core you want.
http://www.codito.com/arc/download.html

GDB is something that is in the pipeline but depends on user demand for
the A4 core. We have 6.3 based GDB for the later versions in our tree
which is yet to be merged back . It does not yet support the A4.

cheers
Ramana

* Re: Developer Guide to GDB
@ 2005-10-30 23:25 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-10-30 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: .:SB:.; +Cc: gdb

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 10:36:17AM +0100, .:SB:. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Past months i was working in gdb (4.18 release) to include certain
> modifs to ARC systems, i was starting from scratch, i mean, no
> previously xperience (source-code) about gdb but some knowledge in
> debuggers,

First of all, again, whatever you're doing from scratch - please don't
do it in GDB 4.18!  That's ancient.

> What i use to learn about was:
>
> a) "Debugging With Gdb - The Gnu Source-Level Debugger",
> b) "McGraw Hill - GCC, the Complete Reference"
> c) Obviously, the code: tm-*.h, *-tdep.c, remote-*.c, and related files...
> d) ./gdb/doc/gdbint.ps
>
> Just wondering if anyone can help me with a good doc repository or
> step-by-step or something like that

No, there isn't one.  You've already seen the internals manual;
improvements welcome.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC