public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* make -jn does not work
@ 2010-06-28 11:09 Steffen Dettmer
From: Steffen Dettmer @ 2010-06-28 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

the documentation states to use `make' to build the software, but
first I didn't take it literally. When I type make, my fingers
automatically instead write `nice make -j4' because I'm used to.

I just wonder if make -jn shouldn't work.
With GNU Make, .NOTPARALLEL could be used (in this case, make -j4
wouldn't speed up, but also wouldn't fail), or even better,
maybe missing dependencies information could be added to make it
known to `make' which things have to be done sequentially.

Is non-working -jn considered a bug/limitation and worth a bug
report or is this not supported and thus not worth one?

oki,

Steffen

* Re: make -jn does not work
@ 2010-06-28 11:15 ` Jan Kratochvil
From: Jan Kratochvil @ 2010-06-28 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Dettmer; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:09:47 +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> Is non-working -jn considered a bug/limitation and worth a bug
> report or is this not supported and thus not worth one?

Yes, it should be filed as a Bug with enough environment information.
Building FSF GDB CVS HEAD (+other branches) nightly with MAKEFLAGS=-j12
without problems (make-3.81-19.fc13.x86_64)..

Thanks,
Jan

* Re: make -jn does not work
@ 2010-06-29 17:27   ` Steffen Dettmer
From: Steffen Dettmer @ 2010-06-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Jan Kratochvil
<jan.kratochvil@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:09:47 +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
>> Is non-working -jn considered a bug/limitation and worth a bug
>> report or is this not supported and thus not worth one?

make -j4 does work. I re-tested all configurations I played with; all
ran successfully.
Probably I had a corrupted sandbox or so, sorry.

Steffen