public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* preserving checkpoints across sessions
@ 2010-07-23  2:06 Mathew Yeates
From: Mathew Yeates @ 2010-07-23  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I looked at the checkpoint code and I "sort of" see how it could be
done but I'm no gdb guru.
Somebody add this! It would be a great feature. You  could add
checkpoints throughout your executable and be able to start a gdb
session and go directly to a desired location.

Get to work!

-Mathew

* RE: preserving checkpoints across sessions
@ 2010-07-27 12:59 ` Marc Khouzam
From: Marc Khouzam @ 2010-07-27 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mathew Yeates', 'gdb@sourceware.org'

I also think this would be a nice feature.
In fact, I thought that is how checkpoints worked already :-O
I was planning on adding this support in Eclipse.  I guess
I'll have to wait for it to be supported in GDB first.

Marc

* Re: preserving checkpoints across sessions
@ 2010-07-27 17:13   ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2010-07-27 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Khouzam; +Cc: 'Mathew Yeates', 'gdb@sourceware.org'

Marc Khouzam wrote:
> [...]

I frankly don't see any way to implement it.
I'm open to suggestions.

* Re: preserving checkpoints across sessions
@ 2010-07-27 17:33     ` Pedro Alves
From: Pedro Alves @ 2010-07-27 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Michael Snyder, Marc Khouzam, 'Mathew Yeates'

On Tuesday 27 July 2010 18:13:23, Michael Snyder wrote:
> Marc Khouzam wrote:

I don't see a way with the forks based implementation, but
it may be interesting to try replacing it by a
backend based on something this:

<https://ftg.lbl.gov/CheckpointRestart/CheckpointRestart.shtml>

This might help target record too.

From the FAQ, linked above:

How is checkpoint/restart different than SIGSTOP/SIGCONT?

    Putting a process to sleep (via the SIGSTOP signal) implies
    stopping its execution. Taking a checkpoint writes a snapshot
    of a process to disk: the process may either be allowed to
    continue running after the checkpoint is complete, or you can
    kill the process to release all of its resources .

    With sleep, a process's resources are not all fully
    released (such as virtual memory, network connections,
    process id, etc.). Checkpointing then killing a process fully
    releases all system resources.

    Restarts from checkpoint files can be used across machine
    reboots, and/or even on different machines than the one that
    the checkpoint was taken on. This is not true for SIGCONT.

How is BLCR different than "user-level" checkpointing libraries
like Condor, etc.?

    BLCR performs checkpointing and restarting inside the linux
    kernel. While this makes it less portable than solutions that
    use user-level libraries, it also means that it has full
    access to all kernel resources, and can thus restore
    resources (like process IDs) that user-level libraries
    cannot. This also allows BLCR to checkpoint/restart groups of
    processes (such as shell scripts and their subprocesses),
    together with the pipes that connect them.

--
Pedro Alves