public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Newlib/Cygwin now under GIT
       [not found] <20150305145541.GA20560@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2015-03-10 15:38 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-03-10 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib, cygwin, binutils, gdb, gcc

Hi fellow developers,

I'm happy to inform you that the move of Newlib/Cygwin from the src CVS
repository to the new, combined GIT repository is now final.

Here's how to access the new GIT repository:

Read-only:

  git clone git://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git

Read/Write:

  git clone sourceware.org:/git/newlib-cygwin.git

Web view:

  https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=newlib-cygwin.git

Commit messages go to the newlib-cvs and/or cygwin-cvs mailing lists,
just as before.  Commit messages also create a message to the freenode
IRC channel #cygwin-developers.

If you find problems, don't hesitate to report them, preferredly  on the
mailing list

  newlib AT sourceware DOT org

I'm not a git wizard, rather a wizzard (pardon the discworld reference)
so help in case of problems is highly appreciated.

Newlib list:  Jeff is on the road for the next couple of days so a
discussion of this point has to wait a while, but for the time being,
patches should continue to be accompanied by a ChangeLog entry.

Have fun,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Newlib/Cygwin now under GIT
@ 2015-03-10 16:20   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2015-03-10 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib, gdb, gcc

Thank you for doing this! It cloned for me on the first try.

Any particular reason, the repo is called newlib-cygwin.git
and not the more general newlib.git. Cygwin isn't the
only user of newlib.

--joel

@ 2015-03-10 17:03   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2015-03-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: cygwin, binutils, gdb, gcc

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hi fellow developers,
>

> I'm happy to inform you that the move of Newlib/Cygwin from the src CVS
> repository to the new, combined GIT repository is now final.

I note that this repository includes the include/ directory, in its larger
binutils-gdb form rather than the smaller GCC form.

How much of this is actually relevant for newlib?  Mostly it relates to
libiberty and object file formats, for use of code that's not included in
this repository (which does not include libiberty).  If little or none of
this code is actually used in newlib, it might make sense to remove the
unused files so it's clear they do not need merging from the other
repositories.

(Apart from include/, various shared toplevel files and directories are
out of sync between the three repositories - GCC, binutils-gdb,
newlib-cygwin - and could do with someone identifying unmerged changes and
applying them to the repositories missing them.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: Newlib/Cygwin now under GIT
@ 2015-03-10 18:19     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-03-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, binutils, gdb, gcc

On Mar 10 17:03, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Hi fellow developers,
> >

> > I'm happy to inform you that the move of Newlib/Cygwin from the src CVS
> > repository to the new, combined GIT repository is now final.
>
> I note that this repository includes the include/ directory, in its larger
> binutils-gdb form rather than the smaller GCC form.
>
> How much of this is actually relevant for newlib?

Keep in mind that this is a combined repo for newlib and Cygwin.  Cygwin
needs include/ for its dumper tool, which is a helper to create core
files readable by GDB.  It includes

  bfd.h
  elf/common.h
  elf/external.h

and all files included by those.

> Mostly it relates to
> libiberty and object file formats, for use of code that's not included in
> this repository (which does not include libiberty).  If little or none of
> this code is actually used in newlib, it might make sense to remove the
> unused files so it's clear they do not need merging from the other
> repositories.

Of course, I have no problems to remove unused files, just not
now.  I'm still looking for a small problem in the repo, so please
no unsolicited pushes for now.

> (Apart from include/, various shared toplevel files and directories are
> out of sync between the three repositories - GCC, binutils-gdb,
> newlib-cygwin - and could do with someone identifying unmerged changes and
> applying them to the repositories missing them.)

This is a common problem.  I guess newlib/cygwin got the oldest set
and, afaik, the GCC toplevel stuff is kind of the master.  It would
be nice if we had some automatism in place to keep all former src
repos in sync.

Corinna

@ 2015-03-10 18:25     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-03-10 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: newlib, gdb, gcc

On Mar 10 11:20, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Thank you for doing this! It cloned for me on the first try.
>
> Any particular reason, the repo is called newlib-cygwin.git
> and not the more general newlib.git. Cygwin isn't the
> only user of newlib.

No, but Cygwin is part of the repo.  It's a *combined* repo.  Along the
same lines the Cygwin folks might ask why it's not called cygwin.git or
cygwin-newlib.git.

Corinna

--

@ 2015-03-10 18:30       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2015-03-10 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: cygwin, binutils, gdb, gcc

> This is a common problem.  I guess newlib/cygwin got the oldest set
> and, afaik, the GCC toplevel stuff is kind of the master.  It would
> be nice if we had some automatism in place to keep all former src
> repos in sync.

There was never any agreement on who the "master" was for toplevel
sources - no repo was willing to give up control to the other, so no
automatic mirroring was ever done, unlike the libiberty/include
mirror, where src agreed to let gcc be the master.

Also, for the record, I do not wish to, nor do I intend to, provide
any automated merging services for git repos.  I don't like git and
I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.

* Re: Newlib/Cygwin now under GIT
@ 2015-03-10 20:16       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-03-10 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, binutils, gdb, gcc, newlib