public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Tui locals and watch windows
@ 2021-03-14 11:21 Paul Buxton
From: Paul Buxton @ 2021-03-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi, I hope this is an appropriate place to send this!
I have just implemented a python based extension that adds a locals windows
and watched expressions window to a tui layout.

Details here:
buxtonpaul/gdbwatches: GDB Tui extension to provide Locals and Expressions
windows (github.com) <https://github.com/buxtonpaul/gdbwatches>

It requires a recent version of GDB built with python support. Also
requires the fixed version of tui-layout.c which is in git but not in a
release package yet.

I hope someone finds this useful! Feedback welcome
Paul

* Re: Tui locals and watch windows
@ 2021-03-18 12:09 ` Andrew Burgess
From: Andrew Burgess @ 2021-03-18 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Buxton; +Cc: gdb

* Paul Buxton <paulbuxton.mail@googlemail.com> [2021-03-14 11:21:25 +0000]:

> Hi, I hope this is an appropriate place to send this!
> I have just implemented a python based extension that adds a locals windows
> and watched expressions window to a tui layout.
>

> Details here:
> buxtonpaul/gdbwatches: GDB Tui extension to provide Locals and Expressions
> windows (github.com) <https://github.com/buxtonpaul/gdbwatches>
>
> It requires a recent version of GDB built with python support. Also
> requires the fixed version of tui-layout.c which is in git but not in a
> release package yet.

This seems to be a popular theme right now.  There was a series posted
recently that covers some of the same ground.  The email threading was
pretty broken unfortunately, I'll include a few links to starting
places:

  https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-March/176816.html
  https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-March/176815.html
  https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2021-March/176834.html

You might be able to provide feedback on this series?

Thanks,
Andrew