public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* DEJAGNU will not build...
@ 2000-06-26 11:38 Scott Bambrough
From: Scott Bambrough @ 2000-06-26 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am unable to get dejagnu to build.  I have checked out the dejagnu sources,
and downloaded the latest tarball from sourceware.  It refuses to build anything
with a dependency on ./include/libiberty.h.  This file (actually the whole
directory) is not present when the module is checked out.  Should the directory
be added to the module, the configury changed to setup INCDIR correctly, or am I
just doing something dumb?

Scott

--
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com

* Re: DEJAGNU will not build...
@ 2000-06-27  6:26 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-06-27  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Bambrough wrote:

> I am unable to get dejagnu to build.  I have checked out the dejagnu sources,
> and downloaded the latest tarball from sourceware.  It refuses to build anything
> with a dependency on ./include/libiberty.h.  This file (actually the whole
> directory) is not present when the module is checked out.  Should the directory
> be added to the module, the configury changed to setup INCDIR correctly, or am I
> just doing something dumb?

It would simply be missing - since people check out ``gdb dejagnu'' or
``binutils dejagnu'' no one has noticed.

	Andrew

* Re: DEJAGNU will not build...
@ 2000-06-27 14:57   ` Christopher Currie
From: Christopher Currie @ 2000-06-27 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> It would simply be missing - since people check out ``gdb dejagnu'' or
> ``binutils dejagnu'' no one has noticed.

Perhaps this isn't the proper forum to discuss this, but is there a plan
to separate tools such as dejagnu and libiberty from binutils? Maybe the
amount of cross-dependency would make this difficult, but right now if
someone (like myself) wanted to integrate them into another piece of
software, it's not intuitive which version of libiberty (GDB's?
binutils?) is canonical, nor, as Scott points out, is it obvious that
one needs the include directory as well as the source directory.

I'm sort of looking at readline as a model for tools of this nature, in
that it's distributed and maintained separately, and therefore easy to
drop into a source distribution.

Any thoughts?

Christopher

* Re: DEJAGNU will not build...
@ 2000-06-27 15:21     ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2000-06-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Currie

Christopher Currie wrote:

> Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> > It would simply be missing - since people check out ``gdb dejagnu'' or
> > ``binutils dejagnu'' no one has noticed.
>
> Perhaps this isn't the proper forum to discuss this, but is there a plan
> to separate tools such as dejagnu and libiberty from binutils? Maybe the
> amount of cross-dependency would make this difficult, but right now if
> someone (like myself) wanted to integrate them into another piece of
> software, it's not intuitive which version of libiberty (GDB's?
> binutils?) is canonical, nor, as Scott points out, is it obvious that
> one needs the include directory as well as the source directory.

Things like libiberty and include are in theory separable, but in
practice it's a bunch more work for which volunteers would be in
very short supply - they would be expected to make lots and lots
of new releases just to keep up with revs in the tools.  If you
had a credible specific proposal though, I think people would be
interested.

On the other hand, dejagnu should always be separate.  Unfortunately,
it does not seem to have a regular maintainer (Rob Savoye was going to
do a new release, but I haven't seen anything from him in over a year),
so it's in limbo right now.  As a critical piece of infrastructure for
maintaining the GNU toolchain, it's really important for dejagnu to get
first-class maintenance and support.

Stan