public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* help with remote debug!!
@ 2000-07-18  2:08 chester
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: chester @ 2000-07-18  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: chester

Hi....!
I got some confuse about remote debug feature on gdb.
(I have read some GDB doc).
Build all of cross-compile in my PC for StrongARM and bootable
kernel that uses cross-compile.
Then i do the following command,
$ arm-unknown-linux-gdb vmlinux

and,
(gdb) set remotebaud 115200
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
(gdb) run

But it hang on connect to remote target,no message on my terminal.

What can i do for it ?? Or more doc i can study??

Thanks,
				Chester

* Re: help with remote debug!!
@ 2000-07-18  5:52 ` Quality Quorum
From: Quality Quorum @ 2000-07-18  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chester; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 chester@linux.org.tw wrote:

> Hi....!
> I got some confuse about remote debug feature on gdb.
> (I have read some GDB doc).
> Build all of cross-compile in my PC for StrongARM and bootable
> kernel that uses cross-compile.
> Then i do the following command,
> $ arm-unknown-linux-gdb vmlinux
>
> and,
> (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
> (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
> (gdb) run
>
> But it hang on connect to remote target,no message on my terminal.
>
> What can i do for it ?? Or more doc i can study??

Steps are as follows:

1. Find/adapt/develop gdb stub for ARM processor.

2. Hook it up the serial driver on the target.

3. Link it into your image.

4. Activate it upon start up.

> Thanks,
> 				Chester

Thanks,

Aleksey

* Re: help with remote debug!!
@ 2000-07-18 10:11 ` Jim Ingham
From: Jim Ingham @ 2000-07-18 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chester, gdb

Also sprach chester@linux.org.tw:

> Hi....!
> I got some confuse about remote debug feature on gdb.
> (I have read some GDB doc).
> Build all of cross-compile in my PC for StrongARM and bootable
> kernel that uses cross-compile.
> Then i do the following command,
> $ arm-unknown-linux-gdb vmlinux
>
> and,
> (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
> (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
> (gdb) run
>
> But it hang on connect to remote target,no message on my terminal.
>
> What can i do for it ?? Or more doc i can study??
>
> Thanks,
> Chester

You want to use the same device that Fernando suggested in the previous
message.  Before you issue the "target remote" command, say:

(gdb) set debug remote 2

Then you will get a trace of all the messages flowing between you and your
stub.  You can see if you ever connect, or if there is some errors in the
initial handshake that are causing the hang.

The gdb info file has a section on the remote protocol, which will help you
understand the traffic you are watching.

Jim
--
Jim Ingham                                 jingham@apple.com
Apple Computer

* Re: help with remote debug!!
@ 2000-07-18 17:03 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-07-18 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chester; +Cc: gdb

chester@linux.org.tw wrote:

> Hi....!
> I got some confuse about remote debug feature on gdb.
> (I have read some GDB doc).
> Build all of cross-compile in my PC for StrongARM and bootable
> kernel that uses cross-compile.
> Then i do the following command,

From memory, adding the GDB stub to the Linux kernel was only a recent
inovation.  I guess, the kernel stub code is enabled and is known to
work.  Does that stub code come with a Linux HOWTO tht is specific to
the arm?

> $ arm-unknown-linux-gdb vmlinux
>
> and,
> (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
> (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0

Ok so far. (should I also mention set debug remote ...? :-)

> (gdb) run

this looks wrong. If I assume that you've set up:

  <gdb vmlinux> - /dev/ttyS0 ------ arm board with kernel

then I don't know that ``run'' is applicable.

One guess of what should happen is:

	o	the arm board boots the kernel

	o	the arm board traps to the
		sub