public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Connecting to Insight
@ 2000-07-20 14:05 Gerwyn Davies
From: Gerwyn Davies @ 2000-07-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

Hi,

Anyone know of the RS232 pinout require to connect Insight ( hosted on a PC,
is it available for any other hosts?) to a remote target?

Thanks.

* Re: Connecting to Insight
@ 2000-07-20 14:22 ` J.T. Conklin
From: J.T. Conklin @ 2000-07-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerwyn Davies; +Cc: GDB

Gerwyn> Anyone know of the RS232 pinout require to connect Insight (
Gerwyn> hosted on a PC, is it available for any other hosts?) to a
Gerwyn> remote target?

It depends on both host and target.

I've run GDB (and for this issue, GDB and Insight should be the same)
with the remote protocol on a serial line with just tx, rx, and ground
on a UNIX host with hardware flow control disabled.  The remote
protocol, for all its warts, is robust enough to work reliably in the
absense of flow control.

It's nice to have a 232 breakout box when solving serial connectivity
problems.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks

* Re: Connecting to Insight
@ 2000-07-20 20:56 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-07-20 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerwyn Davies; +Cc: GDB

Gerwyn Davies wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone know of the RS232 pinout require to connect Insight ( hosted on a PC,
> is it available for any other hosts?) to a remote target?

Try

http://www.loop-back.com/rs232_std.html

you want to build a crossover cable.

	Andrew

* Re: Connecting to Insight
@ 2000-07-20 10:52 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-07-20 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerwyn Davies; +Cc: GDB

Please repost your messages without using HTML.  We can't read them.

Thanks.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com