public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: Insight crashes when I open a located image
@ 2000-07-21  6:14 Gerwyn Davies
From: Gerwyn Davies @ 2000-07-21  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

These are the command lines I'm using. Its only a simple program to flash an
LED:-

mips-tx39-elf-gcc -O2  -DCOSMP27 -DCIO_27 -D__BigEndian -DB115Kext -O2 -g -W
all -fno-exceptions -DUSE_HELP -DNO_MALLOC  -c led.c -o led.o

mips-tx39-elf-ld -o led.out -lg -lstdc++ -L/lib -T/link/tx39xxb.ld -Map
led.map crt0_only.o led.o

I've tried using gdb -nw, but I have a very hard time trying to connect to
the target. Here's a trace:-

>Remote debugging using com1
>Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...putpkt: Junk:

Nothing will happen, until I press the NMI button, then on rare occaisions I
can connect. I don't have this problem when using Insight, but I do still
have to press the NMI once before I can connect to the board.

From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-07-21  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerwyn Davies; +Cc: GDB

Gerwyn Davies wrote:

> I've tried using gdb -nw, but I have a very hard time trying to connect to
> the target. Here's a trace:-
>
> >Remote debugging using com1
> >Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...putpkt: Junk:
>
> Nothing will happen, until I press the NMI button, then on rare occaisions I
> can connect. I don't have this problem when using Insight, but I do still
> have to press the NMI once before I can connect to the board.

The diference is that Insight (the GUI) always send a "set remotebaud NNNN" before
the "Target" command.

Please try the sequence:

set remotebaud 9600     (or whatever your board speed is)
target remote com1      (I am assuming your board monitor has a gdb remote stub, 'course)

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd.                     E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com

@ 2000-07-20 14:44 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-07-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerwyn Davies; +Cc: GDB

@ 2000-07-20 14:05 Gerwyn Davies
From: Gerwyn Davies @ 2000-07-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB

(No HTML this time I hope!)

Hello,

I have a problem where Insight crashes out when  I open an linked and
located object file, and was hoping that someone may be able to shed some
light onto it.

I'm using:-
>GNU gdb 4.17-gnupro-98r2
>This GDB was configured as
"--host=i586-pc-cygwin32 --target=mips-tx39-elf".
I dont know what version of Insight I'm using, maybe someone could tell me
how to find this out.

I've taken a look at the object file with objdump and can't see anything
wrong with it. If I open a compiled object, Insight is happy. I know what
you're going to say:- "Try it with GDB 5.0!", but I only want to use GDB 5.0
if I have to.

Many thanks.

Gerwyn

* Insight crashes when I open a located image
@ 2000-07-20  9:24 Gerwyn Davies
From: Gerwyn Davies @ 2000-07-20  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GDB