public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* How do I stop breaking on _init()?
@ 2000-07-26 23:19 Peter Haight
From: Peter Haight @ 2000-07-26 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I'm running mozilla under the debugger on FreeBSD 4.0 and when I'm stepping
through stuff it will frequently break with a message like this:

(gdb) n
0x29b08ffc in _init ()
   from /usr/home/peterh/ext/mozilla/dist/bin/components/libdirectory.so

If I do any sort of steping command like n or s at this point things get
royally messed up. What I usually do is 'fin' which will take me back to the
point where I hit 'n' and I can hit 'n' again. Sometimes I'll have to repeat
this two or three times before I get over the line.

Is there someway I can get it to stop doing this?

I'm using v4.18.

* Re: How do I stop breaking on _init()?
@ 2000-07-27  0:29 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-07-27  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Haight; +Cc: gdb

Peter Haight wrote:

> I'm running mozilla under the debugger on FreeBSD 4.0 and when I'm stepping
> through stuff it will frequently break with a message like this:

?What did the code at this point look like?

> (gdb) n
> 0x29b08ffc in _init ()
>    from /usr/home/peterh/ext/mozilla/dist/bin/components/libdirectory.so
>
> If I do any sort of steping command like n or s at this point things get
> royally messed up. What I usually do is 'fin' which will take me back to the
> point where I hit 'n' and I can hit 'n' again. Sometimes I'll have to repeat
> this two or three times before I get over the line.

It sounds like problems in the shared library code.

> Is there someway I can get it to stop doing this?

A workaround (and a generally useful command to know) is ``until'':

	(gdb) until LINENUM

which can be used to skip several lines (and hopefully the _init's).

> I'm using v4.18.

I suspect that you're running a 4.18 + FreeBSD local changes.  Pure 4.18
doesn't build in FBSD 4.0.

The second thing to consider is downloading a GDB snapshot (see
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb#download ).  Which does include FreeBSD
support 5.0.

	Andrew