public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* backtrace C-API
@ 2003-04-18 12:33 Gerrit Bruchhäuser
From: Gerrit Bruchhäuser @ 2003-04-18 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

is there any C-API function in libgdb.a (or some other library) which
returns a call stack (something 'bt' like)?

Many thanks!
// Gerrit

* Re: backtrace C-API
@ 2003-04-18 13:39 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-04-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit Bruchhäuser; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Gerrit Bruchhäuser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any C-API function in libgdb.a (or some other library) which
> returns a call stack (something 'bt' like)?

No; but you might find backtrace() useful if you're on a
glibc-supported platform.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: backtrace C-API
@ 2003-04-21 21:05   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-04-21 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: Gerrit Bruchhäuser, gdb

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Gerrit Bruchhäuser wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there any C-API function in libgdb.a (or some other library) which
>> returns a call stack (something 'bt' like)?
>

> No; but you might find backtrace() useful if you're on a
> glibc-supported platform.

But there probably should.  How hard is it to create a `target-self'
that uses local memory, and a jump-buf for registers?  The tricky bit, I
see, is the symbol table assuming a single global structure.

Andrew

* Re: backtrace C-API
@ 2003-04-22  0:51     ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2003-04-22  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, Gerrit Bruchhäuser, gdb

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 02:04  PM, Andrew Cagney wrote:

>> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Gerrit Bruchhäuser wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> is there any C-API function in libgdb.a (or some other library) which
>>> returns a call stack (something 'bt' like)?
>> No; but you might find backtrace() useful if you're on a
>> glibc-supported platform.
>
> But there probably should.  How hard is it to create a `target-self'
> that uses local memory, and a jump-buf for registers?  The tricky bit,
> I see, is the symbol table assuming a single global structure.

This falls into the category of Nasty Hack, but I helped someone on our
compiler group with a similar problem a long time ago.  I had them add
a call at the site of interest which (a) got the current process' pid,
(b) wrote a little gdb command script into a /tmp file which would
attach to the process, bt, and detach, (c) ran system ("gdb
--command=/tmp...") in the function, and (d) removed the file from /tmp.

I'm sure there are better ways to handle all this, but it took about
five minutes to do all this correctly -- for a one-off problem, it
wasn't a bad solution.  They captured stdout, massaged the output a
bit, and had the info they needed.

* Re: backtrace C-API
@ 2003-04-22 17:05       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-04-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz, Gerrit Bruchhäuser, gdb

> On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 02:04  PM, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Gerrit Bruchhäuser wrote:
> Hello,
> is there any C-API function in libgdb.a (or some other library) which
> returns a call stack (something 'bt' like)?
> No; but you might find backtrace() useful if you're on a
> glibc-supported platform.
>
> But there probably should.  How hard is it to create a `target-self' that uses local memory, and a jump-buf for registers?  The tricky bit, I see, is the symbol table assuming a single global structure.
>

> This falls into the category of Nasty Hack, but I helped someone on our compiler group with a similar problem a long time ago.  I had them add a call at the site of interest which (a) got the current process' pid, (b) wrote a little gdb command script into a /tmp file which would attach to the process, bt, and detach, (c) ran system ("gdb --command=/tmp...") in the function, and (d) removed the file from /tmp.
>
> I'm sure there are better ways to handle all this, but it took about five minutes to do all this correctly -- for a one-off problem, it wasn't a bad solution.  They captured stdout, massaged the output a bit, and had the info they needed.

It's actually a well accepted technique.  I first learnt about it on a
web page somewhere.

Andrew