public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: gdb/Insight 5.3 really slow when stepping - patch submitted to gdb-patch list
       [not found] <3ECE1AC4.60304@schwingel.com>
@ 2003-05-23 15:30 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Schwingel; +Cc: Keith Seitz, gdb, insight

I wonder.

For cygwin, a file can't be deleted unless it is closed.  This causes
problems when GDB has the executible open (for symbols) when in another
window the user is trying to do make.

Did GDB or Insight get modified to close the file, and if it did, could
that be causing the open/close?

Andrew

* Re: gdb/Insight 5.3 really slow when stepping - patch submitted to gdb-patch list
@ 2003-05-23 15:42   ` Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2003-05-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Keith Seitz, gdb, insight

Hi...

Andrew Cagney wrote:
> I wonder.
>
> For cygwin, a file can't be deleted unless it is closed.  This causes
> problems when GDB has the executible open (for symbols) when in another
> window the user is trying to do make.
>
> Did GDB or Insight get modified to close the file, and if it did, could
> that be causing the open/close?

In this case gdb did not try to open executables. It tried to open source
files (.c/.h/.m files in particular). On success it did nothing else then getinfo
and close...

Roland

* Re: gdb/Insight 5.3 really slow when stepping - patch submitted to gdb-patch list
@ 2003-05-23 11:59 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-05-23 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Schwingel; +Cc: gdb, insight

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 02:42, Roland Schwingel wrote:
> The last 2 days I made 2 postings here. Maybe they were not correctly
> targeted. I today found the
> gdb-patches mailinglist where I just sent a diff to concerning the gdbtk
> stepping problem.

Well, strictly speaking the patch should go to the insight list (insight
at sources dot redhat dot com), where I would see it.

However, I have to question why lookup_symtab is suddenly so painfully
slow? I don't have a problem applying the patch, but I want to make sure
first that you didn't uncover a real gdb problem that no one knows
about.

Hmm. You say you did this on 5.3 (for native cygwin?). What about a
newer version  -- have you tried a CVS snapshot or HEAD?

I used to use cygwin a lot around 5.3 time frame -- it was never that
slow. If I asked for a testcase which demonstrates the problem, do you
think you could provide me with one?

Keith

* gdb/Insight 5.3 really slow when stepping - patch submitted to gdb-patch list
@ 2003-05-23  9:43 Roland Schwingel
From: Roland Schwingel @ 2003-05-23  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi...

The last 2 days I made 2 postings here. Maybe they were not correctly
targeted. I today found the
gdb-patches mailinglist where I just sent a diff to concerning the gdbtk
stepping problem.

Look here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-05/msg00450.html

Roland