public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB for ARC (was Re: ARC-insight questions)
       [not found] <ECENKMEOAEJLMFKPOFMMAEOPCBAA.richdaddio@sandvideo.com>
@ 2003-06-21  7:02 ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2003-06-21  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich DAddio, gdb; +Cc: rdaddio

Rich,

This is really a question for the GDB folks.  There was never any
ARC-specific part of Insight.  Insight simply runs on top of GDB.  It
was GDB that dropped support for ARC.

I've copied this to the GDB list.

Martin

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:24, Rich DAddio wrote:
> Martin,
> I am currently maintaining GCC for the ARC platform. I currently have a
> toolchain GCC-3.2.3, newlib-1.11.0, binutils-2.13.1.
>
> I have had private email with Nick Clifton at Redhat regarding the
> maintainence of binutils and I plan on having a web site up soon to support
> the ARC and GNU software.
>
> In mail from Date: 19 May 2003, regarding Insight you said that support for
> the ARC was dropped. Do you have any details on this? If so is there any way
> to turn this around? I'd like to keep GDB and ARC up-to-date with the other
> pieces I have cobbled together.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rich d

* Re: GDB for ARC (was Re: ARC-insight questions)
@ 2003-06-26 15:10   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-26 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt, Rich DAddio; +Cc: gdb, rdaddio

> Rich,
>
> This is really a question for the GDB folks.  There was never any
> ARC-specific part of Insight.  Insight simply runs on top of GDB.  It
> was GDB that dropped support for ARC.

Yes.

The ARC was made obsolete just prior to GDB 5.3:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-announce/2002/msg00010.html.
Noises about this started to be made prior to GDB 5.2:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2002-01/msg00026.html.

You're more than welcome to revive it.  Just remember that it will be
treated as a new port and as such has the following acceptance criteria:

- an FSF assignment
Contact me for details.
- comply with gnu coding standards
Recommend running gdb/gdb_indent.sh on the file
- free of GDB related coding problems - deprecated code, strict ISO C,
... The ari helps http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/ari.
- pure multi-arch

Andrew