public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* RFC: Moving gcc/intl to toplevel; syncing both copies to 0.12.1
@ 2003-07-02 17:07 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-07-02 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, binutils, gdb

In the GCC CVS, the local copy of libintl lives in gcc/intl, and is a
slightly hacked version of gettext 0.10.40, which dates to 2000.  In
the binutils/GDB CVS, the local copy of libintl lives in the top-level
intl directory, and dates to 1998; I do not see a version number
anywhere.

For entirely unrelated reasons I need to put the gcc libintl at the
top level.  I think it would be a good idea to update both copies to
the latest upstream release, that is 0.12.1, at the same time.  I will
need to rewrite the Makefile for that directory nearly from scratch,
and make drastic modifications to the configury, in order to support
building libintl in a directory that is _not_ a subdirectory of the
directory with the code that uses it.  However, I expect that it will
not be necessary to modify the C source code at all.

I'd like to do this today, and commit to both gcc and src CVS
as soon as I've tested it; it is blocking another major change
over in gcc land, which needs to happen this week.  Will this be
okay?  Does anyone know a reason why upgrading to 0.12.1 is a bad idea?

zw

* Re: RFC: Moving gcc/intl to toplevel; syncing both copies to 0.12.1
@ 2003-07-02 17:49 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-07-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc, binutils, gdb

Sounds like an update is long overdue.

> I'd like to do this today, and commit to both gcc and src CVS
> as soon as I've tested it; it is blocking another major change
> over in gcc land, which needs to happen this week.  Will this be
> okay?  Does anyone know a reason why upgrading to 0.12.1 is a bad idea?

Can you two stage this - import into GCC, and then a week or so later,
import in to SRC?  That way the group with the most to gain (and
apparently the greatest urgency) experience the most pain :-)

Andrew

* Re: RFC: Moving gcc/intl to toplevel; syncing both copies to 0.12.1
@ 2003-07-02 17:56   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-07-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gcc, binutils, gdb

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:

>> I'd like to do this today, and commit to both gcc and src CVS
>> as soon as I've tested it; it is blocking another major change
>> over in gcc land, which needs to happen this week.  Will this be
>> okay?  Does anyone know a reason why upgrading to 0.12.1 is a bad idea?
>
> Can you two stage this - import into GCC, and then a week or so later,
> import in to SRC?  That way the group with the most to gain (and
> apparently the greatest urgency) experience the most pain :-)

I could do that; it will mean that for one week people who construct
combined trees have to be careful with the intl directory, but that
should be ok, yes?

@ 2003-07-02 17:59     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-07-02 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, gcc, binutils, gdb

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:55:29AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I could do that; it will mean that for one week people who construct
> combined trees have to be careful with the intl directory, but that
> should be ok, yes?

Depends on what "careful" means.  If it's just a matter of always using
the GCC copy, that should be fine.

* Re: RFC: Moving gcc/intl to toplevel; syncing both copies to 0.12.1
@ 2003-07-03 16:01     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-07-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc, binutils, gdb

> Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:
>

>>> I'd like to do this today, and commit to both gcc and src CVS
>>> as soon as I've tested it; it is blocking another major change
>>> over in gcc land, which needs to happen this week.  Will this be
>>> okay?  Does anyone know a reason why upgrading to 0.12.1 is a bad idea?
>

>> Can you two stage this - import into GCC, and then a week or so later,
>> import in to SRC?  That way the group with the most to gain (and
>> apparently the greatest urgency) experience the most pain :-)
>

> I could do that;

Thanks!  How does this stand with binutils?

Andrew