public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* PR 1250, backtrace from abort
@ 2003-08-02  1:11 Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-08-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: mec

Just as a note....

The fix for this is either to start using frame_unwind_address_in_block in
i386_frame_cache, or finding a more general location to use it.  Otherwise
Mark's uber new i386 prologue analyzer, analyzes the following function.
Then everything loses.

I think a more general solution is in order; for frame_func_unwind to return
a function based on the PC is not correct in this situation.  Perhaps we
should revisit the idea of a flag indicate whether the resume address
is known-in-block (dummy frames, sigtramps) or maybe-just-after (normal
calls).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: PR 1250, backtrace from abort
@ 2003-08-07  3:55 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-08-07  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb, mec

[my e-mail is back up]

> Just as a note....
>
> The fix for this is either to start using frame_unwind_address_in_block in
> i386_frame_cache, or finding a more general location to use it.  Otherwise
> Mark's uber new i386 prologue analyzer, analyzes the following function.
> Then everything loses.

I've changed frame_func_unwind to use frame_address_in_block.  However,
as I just PRed there are many more cases of the same problem.  I suspect
the disassembler, for instance, can occasionally disassemble the wrong
function.

> I think a more general solution is in order; for frame_func_unwind to return
> a function based on the PC is not correct in this situation.  Perhaps we
> should revisit the idea of a flag indicate whether the resume address
> is known-in-block (dummy frames, sigtramps) or maybe-just-after (normal
> calls).

Andrew