public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* break instruction does not work for mips simulator
@ 2004-08-10 10:16 Monika Chaddha
From: Monika Chaddha @ 2004-08-10 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi

'Break' instruction does not work for mips32 and mips16 targets in a
user program (asm file). When I try to execute 'break'instruction, the
control does not proceed, again and again the same instruction 'break'
executes and also I don't get any break point exception.

Is it any known bug in GDB?

Regards
Monika Chaddha

* Re: break instruction does not work for mips simulator
@ 2004-08-10 15:27 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-08-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Monika Chaddha; +Cc: gdb

> Hi
>
> 'Break' instruction does not work for mips32 and mips16 targets in a
> user program (asm file). When I try to execute 'break'instruction, the
> control does not proceed, again and again the same instruction 'break'
> executes and also I don't get any break point exception.
>
> Is it any known bug in GDB?

This behavior is to be expected.  Since GDB didn't insert the breakpoint
it has no reason to remove/skip it.

You can set:

	handle SIGTRAP pass noprint nostop

and GDB will pass such traps back to the inferior, however, no guarantee
on what happens next.

Andrew