public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* End-of-life [^_]deprecated_registers[^_] in GDB 6.3
@ 2004-08-05 20:32 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-08-05 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

The global variable deprecated_registers was clearly marked as such in
'02.  It was in the bad books for a lot longer, but that's the point at
which we can say that the line was clearly drawn :-)  As such, it's time
to remove it.

This has the potential to adversly affect the following files/systems:

hppah-nat.c
hpux-thread.c
i386gnu-nat.c
ia64-aix-nat.c
ia64-linux-nat.c
irix5-nat.c
lynx-nat.c
mips-linux-tdep.c
mipsv4-nat.c
ns32knbsd-nat.c
ppc-bdm.c
regcache.c
regcache.h
remote-sds.c
remote-vx68.c
remote-vxmips.c
rs6000-tdep.c
v850ice.c

(based on a mindless grep)

Andrew

* Re: End-of-life [^_]deprecated_registers[^_] in GDB 6.3
@ 2004-08-06  9:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-06  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:32:31 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>
>
> The global variable deprecated_registers was clearly marked as such in
> '02.  It was in the bad books for a lot longer, but that's the point at
> which we can say that the line was clearly drawn :-)  As such, it's time
> to remove it.
>
> This has the potential to adversly affect the following files/systems:
>
> hppah-nat.c
> hpux-thread.c
> i386gnu-nat.c

I'd bring the gnu-nat case to RMS's attention, in case he would like
to do something about that.

> ia64-aix-nat.c
> ia64-linux-nat.c

Are we really abandoning ia64-linux-nat?

* Re: End-of-life [^_]deprecated_registers[^_] in GDB 6.3
@ 2004-08-06 15:01   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-08-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: gdb

>>Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:32:31 -0400
>>> From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>
>>>
>>> The global variable deprecated_registers was clearly marked as such in
>>> '02.  It was in the bad books for a lot longer, but that's the point at
>>> which we can say that the line was clearly drawn :-)  As such, it's time
>>> to remove it.
>>>
>>> This has the potential to adversly affect the following files/systems:

Systems such as Hurd are very important to the GNU project,  so I'm sure
we'll find the resources necessary to update them.  We can do this!

@ 2004-08-11 17:40     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2004-08-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: gdb

>>> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:32:31 -0400

> Systems such as Hurd are very important to the GNU project,  so I'm sure we'll find the resources necessary to update them.  We can do this!

Thanks to MarkK and others, this has happened.  We're a good position
for closing this one in 6.3.

Andrew