public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Various problems with gdb
@ 2004-09-16 12:44 Rob Shewan
From: Rob Shewan @ 2004-09-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Help!

I have googled this and searched the linux distribution (fedora) mailing
list archives. I've checked bugzilla for fedora and gdb.

I am attempting to debug a large (1.2GB) mutithreaded C++ application on
Fedora Core 2.

The original version of gdb was: GNU gdb Red Hat Linux
(6.0post-0.20040223.19rh).
The current version of gdb is: GNU gdb Red Hat Linux
(6.1post-1.20040607.8rh).

gdb is unable to set breakpoints in class methods contained in shared
libraries. An error similar to "Cannot access memory at address 0x1b3ba"
is displayed by gdb. I have seen this question asked but never answered.
Browsing the sources it looks like memory_error() is being called by
write_memory() that has called target_write_memory(). It returns EIO. Is
there a way to alter permissions on the memory segment? Is the loader
screwing up? Have I screwed up?

Additionally gdb doesn't handle the symbol table well using a C++
namespace symbol in place of something more reasonable.

Any reasonable suggestions would be greatly appreciated? If this
warrants a bug report I will be happy to submit one, I would just like
to make sure I'm not doing something silly first.

Please cc me, I am not subscribed to this list.

Rob Shewan