public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* debugging the gdb with itself
@ 2004-09-21  9:17 Schneider, Jan (GE51)
From: Schneider, Jan (GE51) @ 2004-09-21  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gdb@sources.redhat.com'

Hi,

I want to debug the gdb using the ddd. I have read the capter "debugging gdb
with itself" and I have googled
on that topic, but I didn't get alot of infos.
I have copied the gdb to gdb2 and started the gdb2. Then I started the ddd
with an attach at the gdb2.
But then I can't walk through the gdb sources.
Is there another way debugging the gdb using ddd?

Thanks

* RE: debugging the gdb with itself
@ 2004-09-21 10:43 ` Monika Chaddha
From: Monika Chaddha @ 2004-09-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Schneider, Jan (GE51)'; +Cc: gdb, acmet

Pls follow the following steps

1. Invoke DDD

"$ ddd <gdb executable>"

2. Pls set the option from the menu in DDD.

"Program => Run in Execution window"

3. Set the breakpoints in the source if need

4. Now run

5. After running the execution window will appear. This execution window
is the input console for the GDB which is debugging.
The GDB console in DDD will not be overlap by the gdb (which is
debugging).

Pls try this. It should work.

Monika

@ 2004-09-21 10:57   ` Ramana Radhakrishnan
From: Ramana Radhakrishnan @ 2004-09-21 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Monika Chaddha; +Cc: 'Schneider, Jan (GE51)', gdb, acmet

Nit :
Make sure you have gdb built with -g on :-)

cheers
Ramana