public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Debugging with linked shared libraries ....
       [not found] <1130247165.27815.ezmlm@sources.redhat.com>
@ 2005-10-25 13:46 ` Roberto Brunelli
From: Roberto Brunelli @ 2005-10-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

		I apologize if this is not the correct place for posting.

I would like to debug a c++ program that links shared libraries (files)
in non standard places:

  1. I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the program runs fine from my (c)sh

  2. I execute

     gdb myProg

  3. but when I 'run'

  > error while loading shared libraries: librandomLib.so: cannot open

  4. If I make the program generate a core and perform

     gdb myProg core.xxxx

     I read

  > Reading symbols from
  > >/hardmnt/..../randomLib/librandomLib.so...done.

    and I am actually able to list the functions within the library and
to access data within the code of myProg.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanx a lot for any help!

--
	<r/>

| Roberto Brunelli, Research Scientist
| TeV Group - ITC-irst
|
|  'You cannot manipulate a marionette with only one string'
|                    from Chapterhouse Dune,  by F. Herbert

* Re: Debugging with linked shared libraries ....
@ 2005-10-25 13:55   ` Christophe LYON
From: Christophe LYON @ 2005-10-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Brunelli; +Cc: gdb

> I would like to debug a c++ program that links shared libraries (files)
> in non standard places:
>
>  1. I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the program runs fine from my (c)sh
>
>  2. I execute
>
>     gdb myProg
>
>  3. but when I 'run'

Presumably your .cshrc resets your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
'run' starts a new shell, and thus sources your .cshrc.

You have to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your .cshrc

Christophe.

* RE: Debugging with linked shared libraries ....
@ 2005-10-25 14:46 Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2005-10-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christophe LYON', Roberto Brunelli; +Cc: gdb

Best to 'set solib-search-path <path to my stuff>' in gdb.  Try putting it
in your .gdbinit.

cheers,

Kris