public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: threads/2292: GDB process stops when debugging threaded program
@ 2007-11-14 11:33 Oleg V. Zhylin
From: Oleg V. Zhylin @ 2007-11-14 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

  As this issue came up again, I've checked with DDD folks, since DDD
steps through threads successfully. DDD does use gdb as debugging
engine, so clearly it does some configuraiton. We didn't figure out
what exactly DDD does, but the effect of it is that gdb locates
/lib/libthread_db.so.1. Thus it looks like my problem can be
re-formulated

 How to make gdb locate libpthread_db library?

--- jimb@red-bean.com wrote:

> Synopsis: GDB process stops when debugging threaded program
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->jimb
> Responsible-Changed-By: jimb
> Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Jul 28 00:19:22 2007
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
>     I'll keep track of this one.

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=2292

WBR Oleg V. Zhylin   ovz@yahoo.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

* Re: threads/2292: GDB process stops when debugging threaded program
@ 2007-11-14 13:25 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-11-14 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg V. Zhylin; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 03:33:20AM -0800, Oleg V. Zhylin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   As this issue came up again, I've checked with DDD folks, since DDD
> steps through threads successfully. DDD does use gdb as debugging
> engine, so clearly it does some configuraiton. We didn't figure out
> what exactly DDD does, but the effect of it is that gdb locates
> /lib/libthread_db.so.1. Thus it looks like my problem can be
> re-formulated
>
>  How to make gdb locate libpthread_db library?

Take a look at the messages from the first message you posted about
the bug.  GDB already was finding libthread_db.so.1.  If it can't, it
will let you know loudly.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: threads/2292: GDB process stops when debugging threaded program
@ 2007-11-14 22:27   ` Oleg V. Zhylin
From: Oleg V. Zhylin @ 2007-11-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz; +Cc: gdb

  Sorry for not looking this up myself, I definitely should have. It
seems like a lot of people use "pure" gdb (w/o DDD or other "shells")
for pthread projects debugging, but for some reason I experience
behavior described threads/2292 on every Linux box I have access to.
Looks like I'm missing something obvious, but I would be very grateful
if someone points out what is it exactly.