public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Questions about software/hardware single step
@ 2005-08-18 13:29 Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2005-08-18 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,
We are porting GDB to Blackfin. Currently, we have two kinds of the target.

1. Simuator which does not support single step.

2. Hardware board which supports hardware single step.

So we have to use software single step for simulator. And we expect to
use hardware single step for hardware board.

Question:
Is it possible to choose between software single step and hardware
single step depending on if hardware single step is available on target?

I searched the mailing list and found this
<http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2001-09/msg00179.html>. I took a look at
gdbarch.*. It seems that no one has implemented it in the last 4 years.
Right?

Thanks,
Jie

* Re: Questions about software/hardware single step
@ 2005-08-30  2:14 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-08-30  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jie Zhang; +Cc: gdb

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:27:09PM +0800, Jie Zhang wrote:
> I searched the mailing list and found this
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2001-09/msg00179.html>. I took a look at
> gdbarch.*. It seems that no one has implemented it in the last 4 years.
> Right?

Right.  No one's ever had the incentive to work on this or decide the
best way to resolve it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: Questions about software/hardware single step
@ 2005-08-30  5:21   ` Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2005-08-30  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, gdb

Daniel,

Thanks. Finally I found a simple way to simulate hardware single step
in simulator.

Jie