public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* useful `info address'?
@ 2003-05-31 21:52 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-31 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Um,

Having only just learn't of `info address', I'm finding that it isn't
very useful.  Sigh:

(gdb) info address b
Symbol "b" is a variable with complex or multiple locations (DWARF2).

Andrew

* Re: useful `info address'?
@ 2003-06-01  9:47 ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2003-06-01  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:

> Um,
>
> Having only just learn't of `info address', I'm finding that it isn't
> very useful.  Sigh:
>
> (gdb) info address b
> Symbol "b" is a variable with complex or multiple locations (DWARF2).

This is progress :-(.  Abviously "info address" should try to evaluate
the location expression.

Mark

* Re: useful `info address'?
@ 2003-06-01 20:29   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-01 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, gdb

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 11:46:52AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Um,
> >
> > Having only just learn't of `info address', I'm finding that it isn't
> > very useful.  Sigh:
> >
> > (gdb) info address b
> > Symbol "b" is a variable with complex or multiple locations (DWARF2).
>
> This is progress :-(.  Abviously "info address" should try to evaluate
> the location expression.

Yes, precisely.  The message was deemed more useful than
incorrekt/incomplet information.  Just need to hook in either a
pretty-printer or location expression dumper.

I'm waiting until after DW_OP_piece to do this, so that we'll be able
to say something like:
  "b" is a variable with multiple locations:
    4 bytes at 0x10002030
    4 bytes in $r13
    8 bytes in $f12

--