public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* How do I run a program step by step?
       [not found] <769819467.544767.1694359900221.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2023-09-10 15:31 ` Jason Long
From: Jason Long @ 2023-09-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SCOTT FIELDS via Gdb

Hello,How to run an .exe file step by step and see what happens at each step of execution? For example, what files the program creates or deletes and...
Any idea welcomed.
Thank you.

* Re: How do I run a program step by step?
@ 2023-09-10 18:09   ` Nemo Nusquam
From: Nemo Nusquam @ 2023-09-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On 2023-09-10 11:31, Jason Long via Gdb wrote:
> Hello,How to run an .exe file step by step and see what happens at each step of execution? For example, what files the program creates or deletes and...
> Any idea welcomed.
> Thank you.
The official documentation is here:
https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.html/

If that is too advanced or succinct for you, searching for "gdb
tutorials" will reward you with dozens of tutorials.

N.

* Re: How do I run a program step by step?
@ 2023-09-10 19:32     ` Stefan Puiu
From: Stefan Puiu @ 2023-09-10 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nemo Nusquam; +Cc: gdb

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 9:09 PM Nemo Nusquam via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> wrote:

> On 2023-09-10 11:31, Jason Long via Gdb wrote:
> > Hello,How to run an .exe file step by step and see what happens at each step of execution? For example, what files the program creates or deletes and...
> > Any idea welcomed.
> > Thank you.
> The official documentation is here:
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.html/

The sample session in the gdb manual
(https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.html/Sample-Session.html#Sample-Session)
is a good introduction, I think. It shows the basic commands and walks
you through a debugging session where you run some code, print
variables etc.

Stefan.