public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
From: Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com>
To: Simon Marchi <simark@simark.ca>
Cc: Luis Machado <luis.machado@linaro.org>,
	"gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Regressions getting more common
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 15:49:34 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:46 PM Simon Marchi <simark@simark.ca> wrote:

> On 2020-10-13 9:13 p.m., Matt Rice via Gdb wrote:
> > Speaking of gerrit, I noticed that the server side git hooks, used by
> > https://git-repo.info/
> > for its repo -upload/git pull-request functionality has landed in git master,
> > and is slated to be in the next git release...
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/commit/?id=6c430a647cb990fc856d328733fa59e1fafadb97
> >
> > Which seems like an interesting new approach for this stuff.
>
> Interesting.  If I understand correctly, this allows implementing
> something similar to Gerrit's magic branches, where when you push to it,
> a script/hook on the  server can do something arbitrary with it?

More or less, IIUC (haven't not waded into the specific details yet),
I believe it just allows one to separate the permissions to various
refs/branches based on the protocol used to push. And then then you
can do something arbitrary with it.

But because it is integrated at the protocol level, you get the
distributive aspects of git.
which is to me the major distinction.  I.e. so you can set up a mirror
repository downstream from the gdb one which, but accepts
pull-requests.

> In any case, I don't think we'll want to develop anything new here, that
> wouldn't be a very good way to spend our time.  But perhaps this will
> lead to useful tools being developed in the future.

Totally agree, I just happened to be tinkering with it already,
so i'll at least see how my local experiments with it go.