public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: Re: I compile gdbserver for RISCV on gdb10.1 version, and there is a error
       [not found] <20201116133833.1659C5D000A6@webmail.sinamail.sina.com.cn>
@ 2020-11-16 21:55 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2020-11-16 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hilihui; +Cc: Simon Marchi, gdb

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 5:38 AM <hilihui@sina.com> wrote:

> So do you mean that the gdb for RISCV on some project is not supported,
> because these projects still use the old linux kernel system.
>
> Now i am working on "https://github.com/pulp-platform/ariane-sdk"
> project, and the project still use the old linux kernel system, so the gdb
> on the platform is not available.

If you have an old linux kernel, gdb will not work due to bugs in the linux
kernel ptrace support.  I submitted two patches to fix two problems in Fall
2018.  Then there was a third patch to add support for FP registers but you
only need that one if you want to look at FP registers.  You definitely
need the first two patches in the kernel.

Jim

* Re: I compile gdbserver for RISCV on gdb10.1 version, and there is a error
@ 2020-11-20 15:47   ` Rodney M. Bates
From: Rodney M. Bates @ 2020-11-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On 11/16/20 3:55 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 5:38 AM <hilihui@sina.com> wrote:
>
>> So do you mean that the gdb for RISCV on some project is not supported,
>> because these projects still use the old linux kernel system.
>>
>> Now i am working on "https://github.com/pulp-platform/ariane-sdk"
>> project, and the project still use the old linux kernel system, so the gdb
>> on the platform is not available.
>>

> If you have an old linux kernel, gdb will not work due to bugs in the linux
> kernel ptrace support.  I submitted two patches to fix two problems in Fall
> 2018.  Then there was a third patch to add support for FP registers but you
> only need that one if you want to look at FP registers.  You definitely

How old a Linux kernel has these bugs?

--
Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates@acm.org

* Re: I compile gdbserver for RISCV on gdb10.1 version, and there is a error
@ 2020-11-20 20:37     ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2020-11-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rodney.m.bates; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:48 AM Rodney M. Bates <rodney_bates@lcwb.coop>
wrote:

> On 11/16/20 3:55 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
> > If you have an old linux kernel, gdb will not work due to bugs in the
> linux
> > kernel ptrace support.  I submitted two patches to fix two problems in
> Fall
> > 2018.  Then there was a third patch to add support for FP registers but
> you
> > only need that one if you want to look at FP registers.  You definitely
>
> How old a Linux kernel has these bugs?

Fall 2018.  I don't know linux kernel version numbers.  You can look it
up.  Certainly 4.15 won't work without patches.  But another person pointed
at a patched 4.15 tree that has the two most important patches.

Jim

* Re: I compile gdbserver for RISCV on gdb10.1 version, and there is a error
@ 2020-11-21 17:03       ` Rodney M. Bates
From: Rodney M. Bates @ 2020-11-21 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On 11/20/20 2:37 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:48 AM Rodney M. Bates <rodney_bates@lcwb.coop>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/16/20 3:55 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
>>> If you have an old linux kernel, gdb will not work due to bugs in the
>> linux
>>> kernel ptrace support.  I submitted two patches to fix two problems in
>> Fall
>>> 2018.  Then there was a third patch to add support for FP registers but
>> you
>>> only need that one if you want to look at FP registers.  You definitely
>>
>> How old a Linux kernel has these bugs?
>>

> Fall 2018.  I don't know linux kernel version numbers.  You can look it
> up.  Certainly 4.15 won't work without patches.  But another person pointed
> at a patched 4.15 tree that has the two most important patches.

OK, thanks.

--
Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates@acm.org