public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Building just gdbserver ?
@ 2020-09-10  9:53 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-09-10  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, Tom Tromey; +Cc: Romain Naour

Hello,

Prior to the move of gdb/gdbserver/ to the top-level
(919adfe8409211c726c1d05b47ca59890ee648f1), and its use of the common
gnulib (1a627e7e6c61e97951932e3a9c5fb706efe3ef3e), it was possible to
build just gdbserver by doing:

 $ cd gdb/gdbserver/
 $ ./configure

This is a feature that was used by the Buildroot build system when we
only needed to build gdbserver and not the full gdb.

What is now the recommended way to build just gdbserver ?

Running the top-level configure script would be annoying, as it checks
for ncurses, which would make ncurses a mandatory requirement to build
gdbserver, which by itself doesn't need ncurses.

Thanks for your feedback,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: Building just gdbserver ?
@ 2020-09-10 10:34 ` Christian Biesinger
From: Christian Biesinger @ 2020-09-10 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: Reuben Thomas via Gdb, Tom Tromey, Romain Naour

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> Prior to the move of gdb/gdbserver/ to the top-level
> (919adfe8409211c726c1d05b47ca59890ee648f1), and its use of the common
> gnulib (1a627e7e6c61e97951932e3a9c5fb706efe3ef3e), it was possible to
> build just gdbserver by doing:
>
>  $ cd gdb/gdbserver/
>  $ ./configure
>
> This is a feature that was used by the Buildroot build system when we
> only needed to build gdbserver and not the full gdb.
>
> What is now the recommended way to build just gdbserver ?

See the "Building" section in
https://github.com/bminor/binutils-gdb/blob/master/gdbserver/README

> Running the top-level configure script would be annoying, as it checks
> for ncurses, which would make ncurses a mandatory requirement to build
> gdbserver, which by itself doesn't need ncurses.

I don't believe the toplevel configure script checks for ncurses...?

Christian

* Re: Building just gdbserver ?
@ 2020-09-11  8:29   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-09-11  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Biesinger; +Cc: Reuben Thomas via Gdb, Tom Tromey, Romain Naour

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 12:34:15 +0200
Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> > Prior to the move of gdb/gdbserver/ to the top-level
> > (919adfe8409211c726c1d05b47ca59890ee648f1), and its use of the common
> > gnulib (1a627e7e6c61e97951932e3a9c5fb706efe3ef3e), it was possible to
> > build just gdbserver by doing:
> >
> >  $ cd gdb/gdbserver/
> >  $ ./configure
> >
> > This is a feature that was used by the Buildroot build system when we
> > only needed to build gdbserver and not the full gdb.
> >
> > What is now the recommended way to build just gdbserver ?
>
> See the "Building" section in
> https://github.com/bminor/binutils-gdb/blob/master/gdbserver/README

Thanks for the pointer, seems useful, I'll give it a try.

> > Running the top-level configure script would be annoying, as it checks
> > for ncurses, which would make ncurses a mandatory requirement to build
> > gdbserver, which by itself doesn't need ncurses.
>
> I don't believe the toplevel configure script checks for ncurses...?

Well, I had missed the --disable-gdb option, and so for me a top-level
./configure would always recurse into gdb/, and gdb/configure.ac does
check for ncurses.

I'll give it a try with --disable-gdb and "make all-gdbserver" as
suggested by the documentation.

Thanks !

Thomas
--

@ 2020-09-11  8:45     ` Christian Biesinger
From: Christian Biesinger @ 2020-09-11  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: Reuben Thomas via Gdb, Tom Tromey, Romain Naour

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 10:29 AM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 12:34:15 +0200
> Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
> > > Running the top-level configure script would be annoying, as it checks
> > > for ncurses, which would make ncurses a mandatory requirement to build
> > > gdbserver, which by itself doesn't need ncurses.
> >
> > I don't believe the toplevel configure script checks for ncurses...?
>
> Well, I had missed the --disable-gdb option, and so for me a top-level
> ./configure would always recurse into gdb/, and gdb/configure.ac does
> check for ncurses.

(technically it's make that recurses, not configure)

It's true that gdb's configure checks for ncurses but that should be
an optional dependency. Did you find that configure fails if ncurses
is not found?

Christian