public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Set BP immediately
@ 2004-08-12  9:20 Fabian Cenedese
From: Fabian Cenedese @ 2004-08-12  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi

I'm trying to debug an embedded PPC board with gdb, that's why I'm
writing a stub. When I set a breakpoint in gdb (b file:nr), gdb just records
this internally and doesn't do anything with the target. Only upon step
or cont it will set the breakpoint in the hardware. But we need the
possibility to immediately set any breakpoint, even if it's for another
not-halted thread. Is this possible with some gdb commands (like
set PC) or would I need to change the code (break flush :) .. ok, better
name it break apply... or set break apply 1) ?

Thanks

bye  Fabi

* Re: Set BP immediately
@ 2004-08-12 10:27 ` Krzysztof Blaszkowski
From: Krzysztof Blaszkowski @ 2004-08-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Cenedese; +Cc: gdb

> I'm trying to debug an embedded PPC board with gdb, that's why I'm
> writing a stub. When I set a breakpoint in gdb (b file:nr), gdb just
records
> this internally and doesn't do anything with the target. Only upon step
> or cont it will set the breakpoint in the hardware. But we need the
> possibility to immediately set any breakpoint, even if it's for another
> not-halted thread. Is this possible with some gdb commands (like
> set PC) or would I need to change the code (break flush :) .. ok, better
> name it break apply... or set break apply 1) ?

You could use a "monitor" command (abbrev. "mo") with an argument list any
kind you wish for that purpose I think.
You can see also a spec. for mine arm7tdmi jtag debugger which is available
here: http://www.sysmikro.com.pl/pliki/jtag-adapterII_um.pdf

> Thanks
>
> bye  Fabi

Best regards,
Krzysztof Blaszkowski

* Re: Set BP immediately
@ 2004-08-12 10:52   ` Fabian Cenedese
From: Fabian Cenedese @ 2004-08-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

>> I'm trying to debug an embedded PPC board with gdb, that's why I'm
>> writing a stub. When I set a breakpoint in gdb (b file:nr), gdb just records
>> this internally and doesn't do anything with the target. Only upon step
>> or cont it will set the breakpoint in the hardware. But we need the
>> possibility to immediately set any breakpoint, even if it's for another
>> not-halted thread. Is this possible with some gdb commands (like
>> set PC) or would I need to change the code (break flush :) .. ok, better
>> name it break apply... or set break apply 1) ?
>
>You could use a "monitor" command (abbrev. "mo") with an argument list any
>kind you wish for that purpose I think.

That's really useful to know. Funny that I couldn't find anything in the whole
gdb manual about it (from 20040728). Is this also in the MI? I couldn't find
a single hint.

>You can see also a spec. for mine arm7tdmi jtag debugger which is available
>here: http://www.sysmikro.com.pl/pliki/jtag-adapterII_um.pdf

Nice document, seems like you're already on it for some time :) At the
moment we create a "normal" debugger, but eventually a jtag debugger
could also be made. I'll sure read this, thanks for the link.

bye  Fabi

* RE: Set BP immediately
@ 2004-08-12 12:25   ` Madhvesh R S
From: Madhvesh R S @ 2004-08-12 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Blaszkowski, Fabian Cenedese; +Cc: gdb

Hi,

>here: http://www.sysmikro.com.pl/pliki/jtag-adapterII_um.pdf
This is an excellent stuff.
Do you have any similar stuffs tried for PPC-440GP Ebony
target board with any linux version? I have just started
for Ebony board with linux-v2.6 and gdb-v6.0. If you have
any useful links also, that will be helpful

-MS

> I'm trying to debug an embedded PPC board with gdb, that's why I'm
> writing a stub. When I set a breakpoint in gdb (b file:nr), gdb just
records
> this internally and doesn't do anything with the target. Only upon
step
> or cont it will set the breakpoint in the hardware. But we need the
> possibility to immediately set any breakpoint, even if it's for
another
> not-halted thread. Is this possible with some gdb commands (like
> set PC) or would I need to change the code (break flush :) .. ok,
better
> name it break apply... or set break apply 1) ?

You could use a "monitor" command (abbrev. "mo") with an argument list
any
kind you wish for that purpose I think.
You can see also a spec. for mine arm7tdmi jtag debugger which is
available
here: http://www.sysmikro.com.pl/pliki/jtag-adapterII_um.pdf

> Thanks
>
> bye  Fabi