public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* How to enable Intel Processor Trace support?
@ 2022-01-21 15:19 Simon Sobisch
From: Simon Sobisch @ 2022-01-21 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

(gdb) record btrace pt
Intel Processor Trace support was disabled at compile time.

I neither found a configure flag or a check for libipt - so how can I
enable/disable this at compile time and where can I find that in the
documentation?

* RE: How to enable Intel Processor Trace support?
@ 2022-01-21 15:34 ` Aktemur, Tankut Baris
From: Aktemur, Tankut Baris @ 2022-01-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Sobisch, gdb

On Friday, January 21, 2022 4:19 PM, Simon Sobisch wrote:
> (gdb) record btrace pt
> Intel Processor Trace support was disabled at compile time.
>
> I neither found a configure flag or a check for libipt - so how can I
> enable/disable this at compile time and where can I find that in the
> documentation?

Hi Simon,

You can build using the "--with-libipt-prefix" option when configuring GDB.

$ gdb/configure --help | grep libipt
  --with-libipt-prefix[=DIR]  search for libipt in DIR/include and DIR/lib
  --without-libipt-prefix     don't search for libipt in includedir and libdir
  --with-libipt-type=TYPE     type of library to search for (auto/static/shared)

-Baris

Intel Deutschland GmbH
Registered Address: Am Campeon 10, 85579 Neubiberg, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de <http://www.intel.de>
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Sharon Heck, Tiffany Doon Silva
Registered Office: Munich

* RE: How to enable Intel Processor Trace support?
@ 2022-01-21 15:36 ` Willgerodt, Felix
From: Willgerodt, Felix @ 2022-01-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Sobisch, gdb

Hello Simon,

The documentation for all recording modes can be found here:
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Process-Record-and-Replay.html

You can find the configure options for gdb in the configure script in the gdb folder.
You can pass all flags you find there to the top-level configure script.

For me gdb/configure --help shows these options:

--with-intel-pt         include Intel Processor Trace support (auto/yes/no)
--with-libipt-prefix[=DIR]  search for libipt in DIR/include and DIR/lib
--without-libipt-prefix     don't search for libipt in includedir and libdir
--with-libipt-type=TYPE     type of library to search for (auto/static/shared)

Regards,
Felix