public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* rsp documentation
@ 2003-05-16 13:02 John S. Yates, Jr.
From: John S. Yates, Jr. @ 2003-05-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

As I mentioned in a mailing yesterday I have been
implementing thread support in a remote stub.

I had little difficulty implementing the 'P' packet
but implementing the 'G' packet looked to be a real
pain.  My first cut was to make 'G' return an error.
Happily my stub work's fine.

Looking at the source in remote.c it is clear that
the statement in the last sentence of "D.1 Overview"
in the gdb manual is inaccurate.  A stub need not
implement 'G' if it implements 'P' (at least if it
is intended to communicate only with more recent
releases).

/john
--
John S. Yates, Jr.   508 665-6897 (voice)
Netezza Inc          508 665-6811 (fax)

* Re: rsp documentation
@ 2003-05-16 14:34 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-16 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John S. Yates, Jr.; +Cc: gdb

> As I mentioned in a mailing yesterday I have been
> implementing thread support in a remote stub.
>
> I had little difficulty implementing the 'P' packet
> but implementing the 'G' packet looked to be a real
> pain.  My first cut was to make 'G' return an error.
> Happily my stub work's fine.
>
> Looking at the source in remote.c it is clear that
> the statement in the last sentence of "D.1 Overview"
> in the gdb manual is inaccurate.  A stub need not
> implement 'G' if it implements 'P' (at least if it
> is intended to communicate only with more recent
> releases).

Wicked!  Can you file a bug report?

Andrew

* Re: rsp documentation
@ 2003-05-16 19:11 ` Quality Quorum
From: Quality Quorum @ 2003-05-16 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John S. Yates, Jr.; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, 16 May 2003, John S. Yates, Jr. wrote:

> As I mentioned in a mailing yesterday I have been
> implementing thread support in a remote stub.
>
> I had little difficulty implementing the 'P' packet
> but implementing the 'G' packet looked to be a real
> pain.  My first cut was to make 'G' return an error.
> Happily my stub work's fine.
>
> Looking at the source in remote.c it is clear that
> the statement in the last sentence of "D.1 Overview"
> in the gdb manual is inaccurate.  A stub need not
> implement 'G' if it implements 'P' (at least if it
> is intended to communicate only with more recent
> releases).
>
> /john
> --
> John S. Yates, Jr.   508 665-6897 (voice)
> Netezza Inc          508 665-6811 (fax)
> 200 Crossing Blvd.   Framingham, MA 01701

I implemented it for i386, but it happened years ago, so some stuff may be
rusted.

http://world.std.com/~qqi/download/i386_stub.tar.gz

About that time, I also had written the document on the topic.

http://world.std.com/~qqi/download/protocol.txt

Thanks,

Aleksey