public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* issue running automake on GDB source files to generate Makefile.in and config.in
@ 2021-03-10 21:14 Zied Guermazi
From: Zied Guermazi @ 2021-03-10 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

hi,

to generate Makefile.in and config.in for gdb I am calling aclocal and
then automake

when runnig automake in the binutils-gdb and gdb folders, on the head of
the master branch, I am getting following error

"configure.ac: error: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.ac: You should verify that configure.ac invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.ac: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.ac: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal)
automake: error: no 'Makefile.am' found for any configure output"

I am using automake (GNU automake) 1.16.1. the same was tried with
automake (GNU automake) 1.15.1

please advise on how to generate Makefile.in and config.in files from
configure.ac (and gdbsupport/common.m4) file

is there a well configured build server I can use to automatically
generate those files?

Kind Regards

Zied Guermazi

--

*Zied Guermazi*
founder

Trande UG
Leuschnerstraße 2
69469 Weinheim/Germany

Mobile: +491722645127
mailto:zied.guermazi@trande.de

*Trande UG*
Leuschnerstraße 2, D-69469 Weinheim; Telefon: +491722645127
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Weinheim- Registergericht: AG Mannheim HRB 736209
- Geschäftsführung: Zied Guermazi

*Confidentiality Note*
This message is intended only for the use of the named recipient(s) and
may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the
message. Any unauthorized use of the information contained in this
message is prohibited.

* Re: issue running automake on GDB source files to generate Makefile.in and config.in
@ 2021-03-10 23:44 ` Simon Marchi
From: Simon Marchi @ 2021-03-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zied Guermazi, gdb

On 2021-03-10 4:14 p.m., Zied Guermazi wrote:
> hi,
>
> to generate Makefile.in and config.in for gdb I am calling aclocal and then automake
>
> when runnig automake in the binutils-gdb and gdb folders, on the head of the master branch, I am getting following error
>
> "configure.ac: error: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
> configure.ac: You should verify that configure.ac invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
> configure.ac: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
> configure.ac: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal)
> automake: error: no 'Makefile.am' found for any configure output"
>
> I am using automake (GNU automake) 1.16.1. the same was tried with automake (GNU automake) 1.15.1
>
> please advise on how to generate Makefile.in and config.in files from configure.ac (and gdbsupport/common.m4) file

What I do is:

1. build autoconf/automake with the right versions from source, install
   them in a prefix of their own (e.g. /opt/autostuff) and add it to my
   PATH when I want to use them.  This is because versions distributed by
   distros are sometimes patched and produce a different output.
2. in either gdb/, gdbserver/ or gdbsupport/ (and not in the top-level),
   run `autoreconf -vf`.  This takes care of calling the right autotools
   under the hood, which I don't know much about.  It calls automake if
   there is a Makefile.am (like in gdbsupport) and doesn't if there
   isn't (like in gdb) - at least that's what I understand.

> is there a well configured build server I can use to automatically generate those files?

No, unfortunately.  But it shouldn't be too difficult to get it working
in your local environment following the steps above.  This process is
not too obvious, and should probably be documented in the wiki, if it
isn't already.

Simon

* Re: issue running automake on GDB source files to generate Makefile.in and config.in
@ 2021-03-11  8:26 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-03-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zied Guermazi; +Cc: gdb

On Mär 10 2021, Zied Guermazi wrote:

> to generate Makefile.in and config.in for gdb I am calling aclocal and
> then automake

gdb does not use automake.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: issue running automake on GDB source files to generate Makefile.in and config.in
@ 2021-03-11 15:37   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2021-03-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Zied Guermazi

On 11 Mar 2021 09:26, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mär 10 2021, Zied Guermazi wrote:
> > to generate Makefile.in and config.in for gdb I am calling aclocal and
> > then automake
>
> gdb does not use automake.

right.  it uses aclocal which is from the automake package, but doesn't
use `automake`.

$ cd gdb/
$ aclocal-1.15 -I../config
$ autoheader-2.69