public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: It takes a long time to disassemble some instructions for remote target
@ 2007-11-15  2:43 Robert Bu
From: Robert Bu @ 2007-11-15  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msnyder; +Cc: gdb

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Snyder
Sent: 2007-11-14 19:44

> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 16:39 +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>     When I try to disassemble a range of instructions, for example from
>> PC1 to PC2, GDB tries to fetch and disassemble the instructions one by
>> one. This may not be a problem for native debugging, or for remote
>> debugging with high connection speed. However, it takes some long time
>> for a not so fast serial connection, since GDB fetches one instruction
>> at a time, which results in a lot of 'm' packets.
>>     Is that possible for GDB to fetch all instructions back for one time
>> with just one(maybe more than one, but now a lot of) 'm' packet, and
>> disassemble them locally one by one?
>
> My friend, I have just the thing you need!
> It slices!  It dices!  It prevents gdb from
> needlessly fetching memory from text sections!
>
> All ya gotta do is type "set trust-readonly"!
> And if ya don't trust me (but who am I kidding,
> EVERYBODY trusts a carny!), you can just type
> "help set trust-readonly" and read all about it
> yourself!

Yes, this is a workaround for read-only section. However, it does not
work for self-modifying code.
Thanks anyway.

Robert.

* Re: It takes a long time to disassemble some instructions for  remote target
@ 2007-11-20 12:17 ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-11-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Bu; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 14:46 +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 16:39 +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >>     When I try to disassemble a range of instructions, for example from
> >> PC1 to PC2, GDB tries to fetch and disassemble the instructions one by
> >> one. This may not be a problem for native debugging, or for remote
> >> debugging with high connection speed. However, it takes some long time
> >> for a not so fast serial connection, since GDB fetches one instruction
> >> at a time, which results in a lot of 'm' packets.
> >>     Is that possible for GDB to fetch all instructions back for one time
> >> with just one(maybe more than one, but now a lot of) 'm' packet, and
> >> disassemble them locally one by one?
> >
> > My friend, I have just the thing you need!
> > It slices!  It dices!  It prevents gdb from
> > needlessly fetching memory from text sections!
> >
> > All ya gotta do is type "set trust-readonly"!
> > And if ya don't trust me (but who am I kidding,
> > EVERYBODY trusts a carny!), you can just type
> > "help set trust-readonly" and read all about it
> > yourself!
> >
> This option does not work in GDB 6.4. However it works in GDB 6.6. Quite
> strange!

Yes, it was broken for a while.  Now it is fixed,
and hopefully we will keep it fixed.

* Re: It takes a long time to disassemble some instructions for remote target
@ 2007-11-20  6:46 Robert Bu
From: Robert Bu @ 2007-11-20  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msnyder; +Cc: gdb

@ 2007-11-14 11:53 ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-11-14 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Bu; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 16:39 +0800, Robert Bu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     When I try to disassemble a range of instructions, for example from
> PC1 to PC2, GDB tries to fetch and disassemble the instructions one by
> one. This may not be a problem for native debugging, or for remote
> debugging with high connection speed. However, it takes some long time
> for a not so fast serial connection, since GDB fetches one instruction
> at a time, which results in a lot of 'm' packets.
>     Is that possible for GDB to fetch all instructions back for one time
> with just one(maybe more than one, but now a lot of) 'm' packet, and
> disassemble them locally one by one?

My friend, I have just the thing you need!
It slices!  It dices!  It prevents gdb from
needlessly fetching memory from text sections!

All ya gotta do is type "set trust-readonly"!
And if ya don't trust me (but who am I kidding,
EVERYBODY trusts a carny!), you can just type
"help set trust-readonly" and read all about it
yourself!

And this magic elixir is yours, my friend, for
not two dollars, not one dollar, but absolutely free!

* It takes a long time to disassemble some instructions for remote target
@ 2007-11-14  8:40 Robert Bu
From: Robert Bu @ 2007-11-14  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello all,

    When I try to disassemble a range of instructions, for example from
PC1 to PC2, GDB tries to fetch and disassemble the instructions one by
one. This may not be a problem for native debugging, or for remote
debugging with high connection speed. However, it takes some long time
for a not so fast serial connection, since GDB fetches one instruction
at a time, which results in a lot of 'm' packets.
    Is that possible for GDB to fetch all instructions back for one time
with just one(maybe more than one, but now a lot of) 'm' packet, and
disassemble them locally one by one?

Thanks.
Robert.
20071114