public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb 9.2 won't build
@ 2020-09-08 16:59 Doug Abbott
From: Doug Abbott @ 2020-09-08 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi all,

I'm trying to build gdb 9.2 natively on a Linux x86_64 machine, a guest
running under VirtualBox on Windows 10. The linker is throwing a number
of "undefined reference" symbols like tputs and tgetflag which appear to
have something to do with ncurses and/or termcap.

I tried the configure command shown in the wiki under building natively,
adding --disable-tui because that fixed a different problem. I'm
guessing I'm missing a library, but which one?

The reason I'm going through this exercise is that gdb 7.6 that comes
with CentOS 7 won't read the python support functions for KGDB. It
complains about "missing attribute COMPLETE_EXPRESSION".

TIA for any help you can offer.

Doug

--
Doug Abbott
Principal Consultant, Intellimetrix

www.intellimetrix.us

* Re: gdb 9.2 won't build
@ 2020-09-08 17:10 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2020-09-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Abbott; +Cc: gdb

> I'm trying to build gdb 9.2 natively on a Linux x86_64 machine, a guest
> running under VirtualBox on Windows 10. The linker is throwing a number of
> "undefined reference" symbols like tputs and tgetflag which appear to have
> something to do with ncurses and/or termcap.
>
> I tried the configure command shown in the wiki under building natively,
> adding --disable-tui because that fixed a different problem. I'm guessing
> I'm missing a library, but which one?
>
> The reason I'm going through this exercise is that gdb 7.6 that comes with
> CentOS 7 won't read the python support functions for KGDB. It complains
> about "missing attribute COMPLETE_EXPRESSION".

Try maybe forcing the use of ncuses by configuring GDB --with-curses?
You might get an error if you don't have the ncurses headers installed;
if that happens, install the ncurses dev package, and then try again.

--
Joel

* Re: gdb 9.2 won't build
@ 2020-09-08 17:43 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2020-09-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Abbott, gdb

On 9/8/20 9:59 AM, Doug Abbott wrote:

> I tried the configure command shown in the wiki under building
> natively, adding --disable-tui because that fixed a different
> problem. I'm guessing I'm missing a library, but which one?

Yes, you are definitely missing build dependencies. Since you're on
CentOS 7, try running:

  # yum-builddep gdb

> The reason I'm going through this exercise is that gdb 7.6 that comes
> with CentOS 7 won't read the python support functions for KGDB. It
> complains about "missing attribute COMPLETE_EXPRESSION".

An alternative is to try a DTS (developer toolset) release:

  # yum install devtoolset-9-gdb

DTS9 comes with GDB 8.3. DTS10 (when available) will be based on GDB 9.2.

I am not very familiar with how the CentOS 7 software ecosystem works,
so if bad comes to worse, you can attempt to manually install a build
from the build system:

https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=7466

I'm sure there's probably some repo for that, but since I don't use CentOS 7,
I don't know exactly what it is. Maybe
https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL ?

Keith

* Re: gdb 9.2 won't build
@ 2020-09-08 19:54   ` Doug Abbott
From: Doug Abbott @ 2020-09-08 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Brobecker; +Cc: gdb

Thanks for the hint Joel. I had to install the ncurses-devel and texinfo
packages and then it built.

Doug