public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB dollar symbol and single quotes
@ 2010-06-01  9:09 Marco Menegazzi
From: Marco Menegazzi @ 2010-06-01  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,
in my program I have to set a breakpoint on a function that contains the dollar symbol '$'.
If i set the breakpoint before the run command gdb reply with

>(gdb) b 'TeenyLimeM$TupleSpace$out'
>Breakpoint 1 at 0x805c2c3: file ../../../tl/system/TeenyLimeM.nc, line 219.

but once I give the RUN command,  it replies me :

>Error in re-setting breakpoint 1: Function "TeenyLimeM" not defined.

as it can't recognize the $

Instead if I first use the RUN command and after that I set the breakpoint it correctly works.

Any ideas?

* Re: GDB dollar symbol and single quotes
@ 2010-06-08 21:09 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2010-06-08 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Menegazzi; +Cc: gdb

Marco> in my program I have to set a breakpoint on a function that
Marco> contains the dollar symbol '$'.  If i set the breakpoint before
Marco> the run command gdb reply with

>> (gdb) b 'TeenyLimeM$TupleSpace$out'
>> Breakpoint 1 at 0x805c2c3: file ../../../tl/system/TeenyLimeM.nc, line 219.

Marco> but once I give the RUN command,  it replies me :

>> Error in re-setting breakpoint 1: Function "TeenyLimeM" not defined.

Marco> as it can't recognize the $

You didn't mention what version of gdb you are using.
If you are using an older one, please try the latest release.
If it still fails with 7.1, please file a bug report.

Tom