* gnatsweb attachments
@ 2000-03-02  9:36 Austin Bingham
From: Austin Bingham @ 2000-03-02  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNATS Developement

I noticed that there was some discussion of
gnatsweb attachments a while back. Some of our gnats users have expressed a
desire to have gnatsweb attachments treated as regular mail attachments when
they are notified of PR creation, etc., and I think this is a very reasonable
request.

It looks like gnats web makes a good effort to make
it's attachments MIME-compliant, but the rest of the mail info is not written to
allow the files to be treated as full mail attachments. I could be way off base,
but based on how other mails seem to indicate their attachments, I think that's
accurate. Basically, it looks like the notification mail has to claim to be a
multi-part mime file with a part-boundary defined.

One way to approach this issue, which was forwarded
by someone earlier, is to have an official recognition of file attachments
in the GNATS core. This would be nice, but it would require some time and effort
on someone's part. Are there any other ideas? I think this would be a very handy
extension to current GNATS functionality.

Austin Bingham Laboratory for Intelligent
Processes and Systems University of Texas at Austin abingham@mail.utexas.edu

* Re: gnatsweb attachments
@ 2000-03-02 11:13 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-03-02 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Bingham; +Cc: GNATS Developement

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Austin Bingham wrote:

> One way to approach this issue, which was forwarded by someone
> earlier, is to have an official recognition of file attachments in the
> GNATS core. This would be nice, but it would require some time and
> effort on someone's part. Are there any other ideas? I think this
> would be a very handy extension to current GNATS functionality.

Obviously, one shouldn't waste time doing this for gnats v3.x; it should
be part of gnats v4.

I just wanted to propose/discuss whether such attachments should be stored
in separate files from the PR itself. Or, at least have view/edit options
that don't pass the attachments back and forth. The point is that when
browsing though PRs, you don't necessarily want huge attachments being
sent to you when all you intend to do is change the responsible or close
the PR, for example.

...RickM...

* Re: gnatsweb attachments
@ 2000-03-02 13:18   ` Austin Bingham
From: Austin Bingham @ 2000-03-02 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald; +Cc: GNATS Developement

> Obviously, one shouldn't waste time doing this for gnats v3.x; it should
> be part of gnats v4.

That sounds good...I wasn't aware of current GNATs development plans. Is
there a list of planned changes for v4 somewhere?

> I just wanted to propose/discuss whether such attachments should be stored
> in separate files from the PR itself. Or, at least have view/edit options
> that don't pass the attachments back and forth. The point is that when
> browsing though PRs, you don't necessarily want huge attachments being
> sent to you when all you intend to do is change the responsible or close
> the PR, for example.

I agree wholeheartedly...it should be simple enough to create a directory
for each PR's attachments or something along those lines. Perhaps a new tool
like pr-add-attach could be written.

Austin Bingham

* RE: gnatsweb attachments
@ 2000-03-03  0:52   ` John P. Harvey
From: John P. Harvey @ 2000-03-03  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald, Austin Bingham; +Cc: GNATS Developement

I suspect they should be stored seperately if possible. We have
started using thius feature in gnatsweb and when get assigned a
new bug with attached files in the bug report it can tak a long
time to download the mail message. So i guess it doesnt matter
if the data is stored in the same file but the mail message
sent when a new bug is submitted probably shouldnt contain the attached
files.

Whilst talking about changes for 4.0 one request i've had is for the mail
message
sent from gnats for new bug reports to be similar to the gnatsweb mail which
is brief
but contains a hyperlink to the bug report instead of the whole bug report.
Since the
initial bug reports are sent by gnats and not gnatsweb i cant think of a way
to do this
at the moment.

Thanks

John