* Multiple Database on Gnats3.113.1 and Gnatsweb 2.9.3
@ 2002-03-08  1:54 Z Stan
From: Z Stan @ 2002-03-08  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

I just wonder how to make Gnats3.113.1 and Gnatsweb2.9.3 support multiply
DB.
I want to make one DB according to one project. But it seems just adding a
line in /etc/gnats-db.conf can't works. When I submit a new PR in gnatsweb,
it is still submitted into the old DB directory. And When query in gnatweb
on the new DB, the PRs in the old one is still checked out. Can somebody
tell me what should I do besides just make a new directory and add the
directory path in gnats-db.conf?

I know gnat4 have been released for monthes. And it support multiple DB very
well. But I have made some changes on Gnats3 and Gnatweb2 before Gnats4
released in order to make it support Asian languages better. So I can't use
the new Gnats4 before it support Asian better. It's a pity......

thanks

* Re: Multiple Database on Gnats3.113.1 and Gnatsweb 2.9.3
@ 2002-03-08  3:36 ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2002-03-08  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Z Stan; +Cc: help-gnats

    ZS> I just wonder how to make Gnats3.113.1 and Gnatsweb2.9.3
    ZS> support multiply DB.  I want to make one DB according to
    ZS> one project. But it seems just adding a line in
    ZS> /etc/gnats-db.conf can't works.

Please see the FAQ at
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/doc/faq/gnats-faq_3.html#SEC12

In short: "initialize" the new database, and create a separate
set of mail aliases.

The FAQ forgets to mention that you must enter the new mail
address in new-db-dir/gnats-adm/config (GNATS_ADDR=...).  I'll
update this.

    ZS> When I submit a new PR in gnatsweb, it is still submitted
    ZS> into the old DB directory.

That's probably because you use the mail aliases of the old
database.

    ZS> And When query in gnatweb on the new DB, the
    ZS> PRs in the old one is still checked out.

I am confused by this.

Are you sure the entry in gnats-db.conf points to the right
directory?  Does the new directory contain gnats-adm,
gnats-queue, and the sub-directories for the categories?

Does everything in the new db directory belong to the gnats user
(and is readable and writeable by it)?

    ZS> I know gnat4 have been released for monthes.

It is still beta (officially), but seems to be pretty usable.

    ZS> And it support multiple DB very well.

I am running 3.111, with multiple databases.  So I can confirm
that it works, even with pre-4.0. :-)

    ZS> But I have made some changes on Gnats3 and Gnatweb2
    ZS> before Gnats4 released in order to make it support Asian
    ZS> languages better. So I can't use the new Gnats4 before it
    ZS> support Asian better. It's a pity......

Internationalization is on the agenda only for post-4.0, sorry.

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider		<Hans-Albert.Schneider@mchp.siemens.de>
Siemens AG			phone:	(+49) 89 636 45445

* Re: Multiple Database on Gnats3.113.1 and Gnatsweb 2.9.3
@ 2002-03-08  4:00 Z Stan
From: Z Stan @ 2002-03-08  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Albert.Schneider; +Cc: help-gnats

Thanks for reply.

>Please see the FAQ at
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/doc/faq/gnats-faq_3.html#SEC12
Gosh. I forgot that document.
Okay I will read that.

>In short: "initialize" the new database, and create a separate
>set of mail aliases.
>
>The FAQ forgets to mention that you must enter the new mail
>address in new-db-dir/gnats-adm/config (GNATS_ADDR=...).  I'll
>update this.
Yes, that's the point. I forgot to change the gnats-adm/config file.
Also forgot the new mail aliases and the new cron. I really should have read
your FAQ before. sorry.

>That's probably because you use the mail aliases of the old
>database.
Yes. Quite right.

>I am confused by this.
>
>Are you sure the entry in gnats-db.conf points to the right
>directory?  Does the new directory contain gnats-adm,
>gnats-queue, and the sub-directories for the categories?
>
>Does everything in the new db directory belong to the gnats user
>(and is readable and writeable by it)?
Just forget it, please. I made a stupid mistake. I just copy the old DB
directory to the new one. And I removed all useless category directories. I
also changed the categories and responsible files. But I forgot remove the
index and current files in gnats-admin directory. So when I make query in
gnatsweb the PRs in my old DB was checked out. Sorry.

>I am running 3.111, with multiple databases.  So I can confirm
>that it works, even with pre-4.0. :-)

Oh. It's so great to hear that. That give me more confidence.

>Internationalization is on the agenda only for post-4.0, sorry.

Never mind. I will do what I have done on Gnats4 when I get time.
I may send a patch to gnats project when I feel it's good enough.

Thanks again.