* Internal Server error
@ 2002-03-21  4:58 S Ramesh
From: S Ramesh @ 2002-03-21  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats, bug-gnats; +Cc: Madhu Srinivasa Desikan

Hi ,

I am using Gnats 3.113.1 and gnatsweb 2.8.2. I was using Gnats for the
past 6 months, it worked fine. But suddenly we could not edit any PR or
create any PR. When we edit a PR from browser the following error
message is printed.

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error
log.

But when we create a PR, it says PR has sent successfully. Also it came
to the gnats-queue directory. But when the cron runs queue-pr, the PR is
not sent to the appropriate category. It is not moved from the
gnats-queue directory. I tested whether cron is working or not, but it
is working well. It happened suddenly, since it worked fine for 6
months. What could be the problem. No settings was changed after
installation except categories changes, thats it. But one thing happened
is yesterday the server suddenly lost its power supply due to some loose
connection and while restart, fsck is done. That is the only thing
remarkably happened in the server. Is that the cause for the problem. If
so how to fix it. What is the reason or any hooks to make it work ? I
think queue-pr is not working. But what could be the reason. Why is
happened so? kindly help me in this regard,

Thanks,
Ramesh

* Re: Internal Server error
@ 2002-03-21  9:18 ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2002-03-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S Ramesh; +Cc: help-gnats, bug-gnats, Madhu Srinivasa Desikan

    SR> Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal
    SR> error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your
    SR> request.

This is a message from the WWW server, not from gnatsd.  Please
check the error log of the WWW server that runs gnatsweb (or
whatever WWW interface you use), or have its webmaster check it.

    SR> Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost
    SR> and inform them of the time the error occurred, and
    SR> anything you might have done that may have caused the
    SR> error.

... and also tell them to set the mail address to a value that
also works from another machine :-).

    SR> But when we create a PR, it says PR has sent
    SR> successfully. Also it came to the gnats-queue directory.
    SR> But when the cron runs queue-pr, the PR is not sent to
    SR> the appropriate category.

Did you try to run queue-pr manually?  Did you get an error when
doing so?  If this is not the default database, make sure you
specify the database directory to queue-pr.

    SR> It is not moved from the gnats-queue directory. I tested
    SR> whether cron is working or not, but it is working
    SR> well. It happened suddenly, since it worked fine for 6
    SR> months. What could be the problem. No settings was
    SR> changed after installation except categories changes,
    SR> thats it.

Syntax errors in file categories, or maybe one of the other files
in gnats-adm?

    SR> But one thing happened is yesterday the server suddenly
    SR> lost its power supply due to some loose connection and
    SR> while restart, fsck is done. That is the only thing
    SR> remarkably happened in the server. Is that the cause for
    SR> the problem. If so how to fix it.

A sudden power loss can cause damage at open files, so this may
indeed be the cause.  Check the programs of your GNATS
installation, the configuration files (gnats-db.conf as well as
the files in gnats-adm) and the problem reports for missing or
damaged files.  Restore them from backup, if the following hints
do not help.

If fsck finds an "inode" (internal data structure on the disk
that represents a file) that is marked as belonging to a file but
that has no reference from the file hierarchy, it moves that file
to the directory "lost+found" in the same partition.  So for
every partition of a disk, there is a directory <mount point of
partition>/lost+found/.

You find the mount points of all currently mounted filesystems by
typing "mount". It says somthing like

/proc on /proc read/write/setuid on Thu Jan 24 11:36:16 2002
/ on /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 [...]
/export/home on /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7 [...]
/home/has on /export/home/users/has [...]
/server/local on charlie:/export/home1/sw/server_local_sol2 [...]

- /proc is not a "real" filesystem, so there is not
  /proc/lost+found (no need for it).

- /server/local is NFS mounted from another machine, so we cannot
  tell about where lost+found for it is (the administrator of
  machine "charlie" should know); but we need not care
  here--"charlie" propbably did not have that power problem. :-)

- /home/has is also mounted, but from local machine.  The
  corresponding lost+found may be (and indeed is) somewhere
  "further up".

- So we have to check /lost+found and /export/home/lost+found
  (everything that says it is "on /dev/...").

The files in lost+found have some horrible names (remember that
the relation to their place in the file hierarchy has been lost),
so inspect everything in that directory.

    SR> What is the reason or any hooks to make it work ? I think
    SR> queue-pr is not working. But what could be the reason.

The power loss may have damaged queue-pr, gnatsd, or something
they need (dynamic library, config file, whatever).

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider		<Hans-Albert.Schneider@mchp.siemens.de>
Siemens AG			phone:	(+49) 89 636 45445

* Re: Internal Server error
@ 2002-03-21 23:30   ` S Ramesh
From: S Ramesh @ 2002-03-21 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Albert.Schneider; +Cc: help-gnats, bug-gnats, Madhu Srinivasa Desikan

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the mail. The www server is working fine. I tried queue-pr from
command line. It is not updating the file in the gnats-queue directory to
the respective categories. If the category name is invalid or corrupted
means, it has to move the PR to the pending directory right, but nothing is
happening. When i run queue-pr it is not prompting any errors also. I have
only one default database.

I tried with

queue-pr
queue-pr -r
queue-pr -r -f "the filename in gnats-queue directory"

nothing worked, nothing is prompted, scenario remains same. So what could
be the problem. Files in gnats-adm is fine and gnats-db.conf is also
correct. The thing is it is not prompting any errors. So no clue as such,
what could be the problem. Anybody experienced with same kind of scenario.
There is nothing found in lost+found also. Why queue-pr when run manually
with the file name also is not updating the PR to the respective category.
I tried with many categories existing, it is not updating but not giving
any errors also. Kindly help me in this regard.

Thanks.
Ramesh

@ 2002-03-29  2:31     ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2002-03-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S Ramesh; +Cc: Hans-Albert.Schneider, help-gnats, Madhu Srinivasa Desikan

    SR> Hi Hans, Thanks for the mail. The www server is working
    SR> fine.

But what caused that "Internal server error"?  It looks like a
message from Apache www server.

    SR> I tried queue-pr from command line. It is not updating
    SR> the file in the gnats-queue directory to the respective
    SR> categories.

I have no real ideas anymore, thus the long delay (sorry about
that).  However, some desparate ideas come into mind, targeting
on accidental changes:

Are the files and directories of the GNATS database readable and
writeable by the "gnats" user?  Try regenerating the index.

Is the gnatsd (still) in /etc/inetd.conf? (If you are using
xinetd instead of inetd, does /etc/xinetd/support exist and have
"disable = no"?)

    SR> If the category name is invalid or corrupted means, it
    SR> has to move the PR to the pending directory right,

Right.

--
Hans-Albert Schneider
Munich, Germany