* Common files in gnats updated, gnats-v3 branch created
@ 1999-10-26  0:35 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 1999-10-26  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

I've upgraded the portability support files in gnats.  This means the
libiberty, config, and include subdirectories.  We had a snapshot of
these files from around 1997; they are now maintained by the EGCS (now
gcc) folks and I've imported the gcc 2.95.2 versions of them.

I tested these files on SunOS, Linux, and Solaris 2.6, all with gcc.
Some ANSIisms have crept into gnats, so I was not able to build it on
SunOS w/ their pre-ISO C compiler.  I do not consider this to be much
of a bug--it is becoming pretty clear that we no longer need to support
pre-ISO C compilers any longer.  Contact me if you have any problems
with configuring or building these files.

I've removed the files in the etc/ subdirectory and I'm millimeters away
from removing the old texinfo.tex file that is sitting in the texinfo/
directory so that directory can be removed altogether.  It is currently
installed along with the .texi files in case there is someone on this
planet with a Tex installation that doesn't have the texinfo.tex file
installed already.

I've created a gnats-v3 branch; I'll be creating a gnats-3.113 snapshot
after I go over some more of the error reports against 3.111 and 3.112.
I will not be adding anything except bug fixes on the v3 line.  The gnats
4.0-alpha work that Bob is doing is where the attention and energy should
be going.  If I need further v3 snapshots after 3.113, I'll make them,
but don't bet on it.  At the end, I want a release-quality "snapshot"
so those people who can't immediately migrate to the v4 gnats will have
a good medium-term setup.

As always, the best way to make sure your bug report or submitted patch
is not lost is to submit a PR to the GNATS gnats database.  Follow this
URL to access it with gnatsweb; any other front end should work as well
(database name "gnats", username "guest", password "guest"):

  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=gnats&user=guest&password=guest&cmd=login

You can follow changes to these PRs at
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gnats-prs/

Jason
Free the Software!

only message in thread, other threads:[~1999-10-26  0:35 UTC | newest]