* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-11-14 17:07 Moe Elzubeir
From: Moe Elzubeir @ 2001-11-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

So far I have been able to get everything to run smoothly ;)

However, I am still very confused about the usr/password and gnatsd.host_acess. Does one override the other?
It seems that in my system, it doesn't matter what the users access level is set to, it will still go with whatever
is defined in gnatsd.host_acccess.

The documentation doesn't really tell if one overrides the other, so I don't know why I'm experiencing that
behavior. Any ideas?

Thanks
―

Mohammed Elzubeir

* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-11-15  1:34 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2001-11-15  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moe Elzubeir; +Cc: help-gnats

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Moe Elzubeir wrote:

> So far I have been able to get everything to run smoothly ;)
>
> However, I am still very confused about the usr/password and gnatsd.host_acess. Does one override the other?
> It seems that in my system, it doesn't matter what the users access level is set to, it will still go with whatever
> is defined in gnatsd.host_acccess.
>
> The documentation doesn't really tell if one overrides the other, so I don't know why I'm experiencing that
> behavior. Any ideas?

In version 3.x (I don't think they changed it for V4?), the user's access
can increase the access level granted in host_access, but not lower it.

...RickM...

* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-11-19  8:48   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-11-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald; +Cc: Moe Elzubeir, help-gnats

    RM> In version 3.x (I don't think they changed it for V4?), the
    RM> user's access can increase the access level granted in
    RM> host_access, but not lower it.

Right.  I added this piece of information to the manual.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
http://www.zamazal.org

* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-12-20 12:36 ` Moe Elzubeir
From: Moe Elzubeir @ 2001-12-20 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

So far I have been able to get everything to run smoothly ;)

However, I am still very confused about the usr/password and gnatsd.host_acess. Does one override the other?
It seems that in my system, it doesn't matter what the users access level is set to, it will still go with whatever
is defined in gnatsd.host_acccess.

The documentation doesn't really tell if one overrides the other, so I don't know why I'm experiencing that
behavior. Any ideas?

Thanks
—

Mohammed Elzubeir

* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-12-20 13:06   ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2001-12-20 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moe Elzubeir; +Cc: help-gnats

@ 2001-12-23 12:45     ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-12-23 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald; +Cc: Moe Elzubeir, help-gnats

@ 2001-12-20 14:21   ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2001-12-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moe Elzubeir; +Cc: help-gnats

Yes, sounds like a bug with encrypted passwords.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Moe Elzubeir wrote:

> Actually you are right. But that only works when the passwords are in plain-text. For
> example,
>
> testguy:$0$testguy:admin:default
>
> entry in the gnatsd.acess file would let you in as admin even if gnats.host_acess is set
> to 'view'. But, as soon as I encrypt the password (haven't tested md5 yet), it doesn't
> seem to care.
>
> I think we have a bug.. should I enter a PR for this one?
>
> ¯-
> Mohammed Elzubeir

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Moe Elzubeir wrote:
>

> > So far I have been able to get everything to run smoothly ;)
> >
> > However, I am still very confused about the usr/password and gnatsd.host_acess. Does one override the other?
> > It seems that in my system, it doesn't matter what the users access level is set to, it will still go with whatever
> > is defined in gnatsd.host_acccess.
> >
> > The documentation doesn't really tell if one overrides the other, so I don't know why I'm experiencing that
> > behavior. Any ideas?
>
> In version 3.x (I don't think they changed it for V4?), the user's access
> can increase the access level granted in host_access, but not lower it.
>
> ...RickM...

...RickM...

* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-12-20 14:01 ` Moe Elzubeir
From: Moe Elzubeir @ 2001-12-20 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Actually you are right. But that only works when the passwords are in plain-text. For
example,

testguy:$0$testguy:admin:default

entry in the gnatsd.acess file would let you in as admin even if gnats.host_acess is set
to 'view'. But, as soon as I encrypt the password (haven't tested md5 yet), it doesn't
seem to care.

I think we have a bug.. should I enter a PR for this one?

—-

@ 2001-11-15  1:49 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2001-11-15  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moe Elzubeir; +Cc: help-gnats

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 1661 bytes --]

Yes, sounds like a bug with encrypted passwords.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Moe Elzubeir wrote:

> Actually you are right. But that only works when the passwords are in plain-text. For
> example,
>
> testguy:$0$testguy:admin:default
>
> entry in the gnatsd.acess file would let you in as admin even if gnats.host_acess is set
> to 'view'. But, as soon as I encrypt the password (haven't tested md5 yet), it doesn't
> seem to care.
>
> I think we have a bug.. should I enter a PR for this one?
>
> ¯-
> Mohammed Elzubeir

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Moe Elzubeir wrote:
>

> > So far I have been able to get everything to run smoothly ;)
> >
> > However, I am still very confused about the usr/password and gnatsd.host_acess. Does one override the other?
> > It seems that in my system, it doesn't matter what the users access level is set to, it will still go with whatever
> > is defined in gnatsd.host_acccess.
> >
> > The documentation doesn't really tell if one overrides the other, so I don't know why I'm experiencing that
> > behavior. Any ideas?
>
> In version 3.x (I don't think they changed it for V4?), the user's access
> can increase the access level granted in host_access, but not lower it.
>
> ...RickM...

...RickM...

* Re: gnats passwords
@ 2001-11-15  1:41 Moe Elzubeir
From: Moe Elzubeir @ 2001-11-15  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Actually you are right. But that only works when the passwords are in plain-text. For
example,

testguy:$0$testguy:admin:default

entry in the gnatsd.acess file would let you in as admin even if gnats.host_acess is set
to 'view'. But, as soon as I encrypt the password (haven't tested md5 yet), it doesn't
seem to care.

I think we have a bug.. should I enter a PR for this one?

―-