* Re: Proposal: Remove Quarter and Cases from default dbconfig
       [not found]   ` <5.2.0.5.0.20021019122326.00b42dd8@ms-etro01-01.norway.sun.com>
@ 2002-10-24  5:56     ` Andrew Gray
From: Andrew Gray @ 2002-10-24  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yngve.svendsen; +Cc: help-gnats

> A kind of consensus did emerge in that discussion, and I would like to
> propose that we get rid of the Quarter and Cases fields from the standard
> dbconfig. I am going to add an appendix to the GNATS manual describing
> various useful dbconfig customizations (we need to illustrate the amazing
> power of the dbconfig system), and these field descriptions could be added
> there instead.
>
> Comments, anyone?

I agree that removing these fields is a good idea, thanks for making
the required changes.

Andrew Gray

* Manual is version 4 ready!
       [not found] <5.2.0.5.0.20021019122326.00b42dd8@ms-etro01-01.norway.sun. com>
@ 2002-10-24  5:56 ` Yngve Svendsen
       [not found]   ` <5.2.0.5.0.20021019122326.00b42dd8@ms-etro01-01.norway.sun.com>
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2002-10-24  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

We have just reached a minor milestone in GNATS 4 development: The
documentation rewrite is finished!

The only thing holding up the rewrite of the GNATS manual for version 4 was
a decision over whether to tidy up the profusion of fields in the standard
dbconfig file. Now that this is done, we have a manual which is fully
version 4 complete. Yes, there are bound to be mistakes, omissions and
version 3-specific stuff that I have missed, but the manual as it is now is
of what I would call "release-candidate" quality.

Gone from the standard dbconfig:

Quarter, Keywords, Date-Required from release-based GNATS 3
Cases, which was added early in GNATS 4 development for testing purposes

All these field definitions have been put in the new appendix "dbconfig
recipes", and the "Upgrading" section of the manual tells people who have
release-based GNATS 3 installations to add the definitions to their
dbconfig. None of the removed field definitions illustrated any special
functions or were involved in any automation, so they shouldn't be missed
too much.

Yngve Svendsen
wearing the "Gnats 4 doc guy" hat

* Re: Manual is version 4 ready!
       [not found]   ` <5.2.0.5.0.20021019122326.00b42dd8@ms-etro01-01.norway.sun.com>
@ 2002-10-26  5:34   ` Lars Henriksen
From: Lars Henriksen @ 2002-10-26  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: help-gnats

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:53:19PM +0200, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> We have just reached a minor milestone in GNATS 4 development: The
> documentation rewrite is finished!

Well done!

I have a small problem though. I can no longer create ps and pdf files. TeX
complains about undefined control sequences (@verbatim, @end verbatim) in the
new appendices.

Lars Henriksen

* Re: Manual is version 4 ready!
@ 2002-10-26  7:33     ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2002-10-26  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Henriksen; +Cc: help-gnats

At 14:30 26.10.2002 +0200, Lars Henriksen wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:53:19PM +0200, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> > We have just reached a minor milestone in GNATS 4 development: The
> > documentation rewrite is finished!
>
>Well done!
>
>I have a small problem though. I can no longer create ps and pdf files. TeX
>complains about undefined control sequences (@verbatim, @end verbatim) in the
>new appendices.

Ouch. I should have given warning. You'll need Texinfo 4.1 or newer (4.2 is
the latest) to process the manual now. Also remember to copy the .tex files
to the appropriate place in your texmf tree (I didn't, and spent a good
deal of time before I cracked it)

- Yngve

* Re: Manual is version 4 ready!
@ 2002-10-26  9:27       ` Lars Henriksen
From: Lars Henriksen @ 2002-10-26  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: help-gnats

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:32:51PM +0200, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> At 14:30 26.10.2002 +0200, Lars Henriksen wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:53:19PM +0200, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> >> We have just reached a minor milestone in GNATS 4 development: The
> >> documentation rewrite is finished!
> >
> >Well done!
> >
> >I have a small problem though. I can no longer create ps and pdf files. TeX
> >complains about undefined control sequences (@verbatim, @end verbatim) in
> >the
> >new appendices.
>
> Ouch. I should have given warning. You'll need Texinfo 4.1 or newer (4.2 is
> the latest) to process the manual now. Also remember to copy the .tex files
> to the appropriate place in your texmf tree (I didn't, and spent a good
> deal of time before I cracked it)

Thanks. I just needed a newer texinfo.tex in the right place.

Lars