* mail server config
@ 2003-07-21 11:29 Chris Jensen
From: Chris Jensen @ 2003-07-21 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Hi,
Sorry if this is a stupid one. There seems to be very little in the way of
mail configuration options. How does gnats send out it's notification emails?
Do I need mail software installed on the same machine as the gnats server, or
can I get it to route through another smtp server located on the network?
If I have to install software locally, what specific software is required?

--
Chris Jensen
chris@drspirograph.com

Public Key: http://drspirograph.com/public_key/

Wait: Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of
Spirograph and the rise in gang activity?  Think about it.
- Dr Spirograph (The Simpsons)

* Re: mail server config
@ 2003-07-24 11:54 ` Chris Jensen
From: Chris Jensen @ 2003-07-24 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Can anyone help me with this? I'd really like to setup notifications for my
gnats install. But the documentation gives me next to nothing, it assumes a
sendmail install - which I don't have. If I do a "standard" sendmail install
(not knowing sendmail I don't even know if there is such a thing) and
configure the aliases in the document will that give me mail notifications?
I'd really appreciate some help on this

--
Chris Jensen
chris-gnats@drspirograph.com

@ 2003-07-24 15:23   ` Chris Jensen
From: Chris Jensen @ 2003-07-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

--

@ 2003-07-24 17:18   ` Mariusz Pekala
From: Mariusz Pekala @ 2003-07-24 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

* Re: mail server config
@ 2003-07-29 21:47 ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2003-07-29 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Jensen, help-gnats

On Monday 21 July 2003 13:12, Chris Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if this is a stupid one. There seems to be very little in the
> way of mail configuration options. How does gnats send out it's
> notification emails?

In 3.113.1, there is a compile-time option "MAIL_AGENT", defaulting to
"/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t".
This gets the complete mail, including header lines (like "From:",
"To:", "Subject:"), on its standard input.

In Gnats 3.999.x, this is done essentially the same way, but has been
wrapped in a script called "mail-agent" so that the compile-time
option is gone.

> Do I need mail software installed on the same
> machine as the gnats server, or can I get it to route through
> another smtp server located on the network? If I have to install
> software locally, what specific software is required?

I think the easiest way is to install a rudimentary mail-server
locally. If you choose sendmail, there is a "null client"
configuration that forwards all mails to another SMTP server.
Postfix can be configured similarly, see
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#null_client
For other software, check the docs.

Hope this helps,

Hans-Albert