* Restoring GNATS database
@ 2004-04-15 14:32 Andrew Gray
From: Andrew Gray @ 2004-04-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad Walstrom, Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: help-gnats

Hi Yngve and Chad,

One important outstanding issue with GNATS is the bug database.  After
the main GNU host was cracked in August last year the GNATS database
was unavailable.  I have started looking at getting it back on-line again.

Two key problems are (1) recoving the data from the old database and
(2) identifying a machine that can host the GNATS database.

I have sent a message to the GNU sysadmins and received a response.

Regarding recovering the old database, they asked where the data was.
I guessed it would be in /usr/local/com/gnatsdb or /usr/com/gnatsdb.
Yngve, do you recall what directory the GNATS database on fencepost
was in?

Regarding running the GNATS database on fencepost, the response included:

> Can GNATS run as a non-root user?  If so, reinstalling on
> fencepost shouldn't be a problem.  I recall that in years past the
> installation was poorly maintained / undocumented, and whenever we had
> to swap out hardware or reinstall fencepost, GNATS broke.  Is there a
> stable Debian package that we can keep installed on the machine, or
> does the install need to constantly change?

My response included:

> Yes, GNATS normally run as a specially created "gnats" user.  However,
> I think that root access was required to administer that GNATS and
> Gnatsweb installation.

> I think there is a stable Debian package (3.999.beta1+cvs20020303-1),
> but I'm not sure if we would need to run a newer version of GNATS.
>
> Another option I am considering is using a cheap Linux virtual hosting
> service for the GNATS database.  If installing and maintaining
> GNATS/Gnatsweb on fencepost would involve significant work for the
> fencepost admins, this approach might shift the admin burden to the
> GNATS maintainer and/or contributers.

Chad, was my response to the question about the stable Debian package
correct?

The Linux virtual hosting service I was thinking of was on jvds.com.
They have a plan that is USD 12.50 per month, I would be happy to pay
this for a year if it would help get the GNATS database online again
quickly.  What do you think about using such a service for the GNATS
database?

--
Andrew Gray
GNU GNATS Maintainer