* gnatsd: Segmentation fault (closes telnet connection): Solution
@ 2004-08-12 15:46 Michael Breen
From: Michael Breen @ 2004-08-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats; +Cc: lorna.watts, chewie, wolfgang.lunkenheimer

Note: I wrote the following before I saw Wolfgang Lunkenheimer's
solution - somehow I missed his last post in my search (and I
think I might have company there?!) It looks like he did more to
investigate the problem than I did and I haven't tried his
solution but this may still be of interest....

Anyone replying to this, please CC me (I seem to have a problem
receiving messages sent only to the list).

Problem:
--------
On Red Hat / Fedora platforms, there can be a failure to connect
to the gnats server (e.g. with gnatsweb) because gnatsd crashes
as soon as it is started.

Solution:
---------
When compiling GNATS on Red Hat / Fedora platforms, compiler
optimization must be turned off. To do this, either just specify
the CFLAGS when running ./configure or, if you like, remove the
"-O2"s from each of:

 ./configure
 ./gnats/configure
 ./libiberty/configure

There are two in each file. It may be that the problem will be
fixed by changing only some of these files but I don't think it's
worth checking when optimization is unnecessary anyway.

After this, run ./configure and make install in the usual way.
Finish installing gnatsweb in contrib/gnatsweb if necessary
 make install CGI_DIR=/var/www/cgi-bin/
(at least that's the CGI dir on my installation according to
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and I think it's the default contrary
to what gnatsweb INSTALL says), start httpd if not already
running
 /usr/sbin/apachectl start
and browse to http://localhost/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

Though the fault may not lie with GNATS, I strongly recommend
removing optimization for gcc from the default CFLAGS for the
next version of GNATS.

Cause?
------
I'm guessing that the problem is something to do with Red Hat /
Fedora distributions - in any case, I notice that previous
posts I found on the web describing apparently the same problem
mention Red Hat or Fedora (Lorna Watts, David Miller, myself)
where the distribution is specified at all.

For those who wish to investigate further, the stack trace is as
follows (I didn't go beyond dumping it as I accidentally fixed
the problem by changing CFLAGS):

#0  0x0078cedc in memcpy () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0x0805766a in xstrndup (str=0x8092fff "", len=134734820) at
misc.c:397
#2  0x08062ca5 in getOneAddress (addrPtr=0xbffff958) at mail.c:234
#3  0x08062d34 in get_responsible_addr (database=0x8072d10, full=0,
strict=0,
    name=0x806853d "") at mail.c:250
#4  0x0804b9f3 in gnatsdChdb (nameOfDb=0x0, username=0x806853d "",
    passwd=0x806853d "", quiet=1, err=0xbffff9c8) at cmds.c:659
#5  0x0804acc9 in main (argc=8703032, argv=0x8070be9) at gnatsd.c:1044

rpm -qa|grep -i gcc
gcc-gnat-3.3.2-1
libgcc-3.3.2-1
gcc-3.3.2-1
gcc-g77-3.3.2-1
gcc-java-3.3.2-1
gcc-c++-3.3.2-1
gcc32-3.2.3-6

rpm -qa|grep glibc
glibc-devel-2.3.2-101
glibc-common-2.3.2-101
glibc-headers-2.3.2-101
glibc-2.3.2-101
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.36

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-08-12  6:48 UTC | newest]